View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 05:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,518 Times in 1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
That guy was running the car in a track or off road mode. So it wouldn't have passed federal let alone state and local noise limits. He basically abused the privilege and this is how they end up banning such modes for everyone.

The confusion was wrong for a judge to try and make him permanently remove such a device rather than just give him a fine and tell him not to do it again. Still I'd rather this one guy have to remove it from his car because he can't follow the rules, than have it banned for everyone.
I'm skeptical this is a valid interpretation. The "N" button is prominently on the steering wheel, and I had a quick look at Hyundai's site and at the owner's manual. Both describe pressing "N" as just one of several driving modes, to be used to enhance fun and performance similarly to how "eco" enhances economy.

The vehicle may not have met California regulations from the factory, but this issue was larger than a single owner. I see it as an issue of California certifying a car to be used on its roads, with a manufacturer setting advertised to be used on roads, and for it to be illegal based on California's laws.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (05-26-2023)