View Single Post
Old 05-30-2023, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
new_bug
EcoModding Lurker

Revisiting small 'freeway' scooters (70mph capable), 150-200cc ideally..

Honda elite 150 from the 1980's could hit 70mph(gps) barely and hold 60mph(gps) up a slight incline, but it didn't sound too 'happy' if you tried to hold it there long. ~10hp 153cc ~236lbs(dry). ROUGH estimate from looking at fuelly- someone might hope to average say ~ high 60's to 80mpg ish (usa) riding the elite ch150 flat out @65mph, with fuel economy in mind.

Modern scooter options (fuel injected) in this same class/ 'ballpark' (cc/hp) should be the best 'all around high mpg', yet still fully freeway capable contenders. What bike (scooter) in this ~150cc-200cc class would YOU pick for mpg purposes and ability to handle just a little more than a PCX150 in top speed? 65mph+ for more than just a few exits, for example. Any input appreciated!

One size up, Honda Reflex 250cc (19hp ~375lbs) could hold 75mph & average high 60's mpg or a little more, on the interstate. But a Ninja 250 of the same era could average 80mpgs @65mph (almost without trying).... Still sometimes the scooter is more fun, storage/weather protection on a scooter is hard to beat.... and not tucking at all on the Ninja 250 might result in high 70's mpg's ridden conservatively at similar speeds.

The top modern scooter contenders... ?

Yamaha xc155 SMax, 15hp say ~315ish lbs (DRY) 155cc
-Looking at the numbers on fuelly, someone might optimistically shoot for mid to high 80's mpg's running flat out at 65mph , ? Have to admit I'm a fan of flat floor 'vintage' styled models vs maxi scooter styling, personal preference, generally speaking.

Yamaha NMax / NVX155 (15hp 260-270 lbs-ish,? (dry) 155cc), might perhaps be able to do a little better than the above smax on MPG but a little less on the top speed as well. - Let's estimate that it would likely max out at a real 68mph instead of 70mph. But a economy minded rider MIGHT optimistically aim for high 80mpg's to low 90mpg's @62-65mph, ?

Sym hd 200 evo , joyride 200i evo ? (I think around 171cc's) Yes can hit/hold 70mph? = what mpg's ? Other sym models?

Kymco offerings? (People 200i, I think around 163cc, not quite up to it as far as 70mph, for example).

Vespa, Piaggio, Aprilla, Genuine, etc? even some optimized form of the gy6 clone or similar?

Suzuki Burgman 200 (18hp, Yes 70mph capable , ~326lbs dry) ? Only con- price tag...

What else am I missing? Any models that stand out?

A Honda CBR125R sportsbike can pull off great mpg's and handle running flat out at 65mph+ , that's a good option if you're in Canada. Sym wolf 150cc standard can probably hold 62-65mph flat and maintain above average mpg's , it's very light. There are various standard motorcycle and faired offbrand/Chinese/etc options springing up the last 2-3 years in the 150-200cc motorcycle class. Not may of these can readily hold 65-70mph..

What other possible SCOOTER options am I missing? I'm currently keeping my eyes out on the used market. I would certainly pull the trigger on a great deal on a used pcx150 also, but something just one step up (65-70mph) would be a keeper, longer term.

Would be nice to have the under seat helmet storage, but it seems there aren't many SCOOTER choices that can quite hold their own vs motorcycles as far as potential for amazing MPG's at highway/interstate speeds ~

What can match the the 80+mpg (at 65-70mph) that a cbr250r & the old ninja 250 could achieve pretty readily... (I've owned both). Have my mind set on a scooter this time around!

It's easier to limit the discussion to stock vs stock as far as a starting point goes. Of course-I understand that aero can bring significant gains, with associated increase top speed. I personally wouldn't plan on major front end changes or lowering to reduce drag, although an optimized rear tail box would be in the cards for sure as time allows.

Thanks in advance for any experiences, model recommendations, & other input!

Last edited by new_bug; 06-01-2023 at 04:11 PM..