View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
thefirebuilds
EcoModding Lurker

Puddles - '95 Geo Metro LSI
90 day: 39.52 mpg (US)

Spec Miata - '91 Mazda Miata Club Racing

Scooter - '05 Honda Metropolitan

Monstro II - '99 Dodge Ram 1500

Kassia - '01 Mazda Miata LS

Precious - '97 Chevy 3500 Silverado Dually
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus McFancypants View Post
This morning i came into the office early ( 6AM). it was early enough i braved the Highway for the drive (I75 into atlanta for about 12 miles). Usually i avoid the highway like the plague ( it is really odd seeing 8 southbound lanes STOPPED during rushhour).

I have done a pretty good job of tracking out the surfece streets to get be to and from work the best.

So this mornings commute - when i checked the Scangage TRIP - Lo and behold my commute MPG was 41 !!! this is way over the typical morning commute of about 32 ish. So i start thinking that i need to leave for work earlier and reap the highway MPG rewards...

But then i look at the total gallons used.. and total gallons of 0.42 compared to the surface street route of 0.35 gallons. ( the highway is actually MORE miles than the surface street)

So maybe the highway is not actually the best way to get to work - although from a pure MPG it is better in one respect - in another respect i can make the same trip with less gallons going a different way.

Has anyone else seen this in thier commute? the "Best MPG" is not actually the best way to take overall?

Steve
I have the opposite occurence. It's less mileage to take surface streets capped at 30-45mpg, but given the reduced speed and the fact that I won't feel obliged to do 80mph like on the freeway, the mileage is way better, and hence so is my usage. It just takes me an extra 10-15mins or so.

that said, its a much less stressful commute, especially if i leave myself enough time to take it. Only a few traffic lights and maybe a half dozen 4 way stops (which I prefer as I can roll on through rather than wait for 5+ mins)