View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 04:02 AM   #82 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I got the cover up. I thought of the ends as like being a smock, but then it seemed more like a tank top.

You disconnect the corner pieces for the top and shoulders--the apex and top corners--and toss the straps over, like putting an apron over your head--and over your shoulders.

One guy said that as soon as you open the box put the ratchets on the straps, but I did not have any idea what he meant, and the instructions did not make any sense.

There are drawstrings in the edges of each end.

You pull the edges around the end and draw the strings tight, but if you don't have the ratchets on, the drawstring may come through, and then you have issues.

One guy said he had some long rigid wires he used to fish it through.

Another guy used fish tape on the bottom rails, but I still do not have any idea what he was doing.

It turns out you are not supposed to install the bottom rails until after you put on the cover--the rails slide through sleeves.

The fish taper seemed to use rope through those sleeves instead of removing the rails and running them through the sleeves.

The corner pieces curve under the frame and have three holes. Apparently you hook a ratchet on each side and then you strap a ground anchor to the middle hole.

The anchors are like long screws with 360° of thread.

Everyone put something through the hole and twisted it a bunch of times, but when I needed to drive a hook screw into the shed I used an I-bolt, and I used an I-bolt to drive a hook screw.

I just put it in my cordless screwdriver and let it do the work.

I thought it was genius, but everyone said it would ruin the chuck, which has worked perfectly since, but I was trying to think of how I could get a hook bolt without the thread.

I could lock-tight a sleeve onto the bolt.

I could cold-chisel the threads.

I could grind the threads.

Well, where can I buy a hook without threads?

Google shows no-drill hooks on Etsy, but Etsy only showed adhesive hooks.

What about breaking the plastic off some $3 crystal hangers and just using the hook?

I am sure there is a bit of metal on or near the end keeping it in the plastic, but I am sure that will be easier to remove than all of the threads.

I just don't know that this will hold up well.

How hard is it to bed 1/4" rod?

For some reason I thought the ends went over the sides.

Guys used different methods to drag the cover over, but I just pulled it over the shoulder rails, stood on a step ladder in the middle, pulled it over the apex on the other side, pulled it over the other shoulder, and then all of the way to the ground on each side.

I realized that it was longer than the frame and went over the ends, so I rearranged it, and pulled the drawstring around the frame.

Someone mentioned that you could order replacement canvas, but that says $140, and more importantly: Unavailable.

The entire kit is $180 right now.

I wish that I could walk through it to the shed and thought that if I could just reorder a door side I could put one on both ends, but I cannot have nice things.

Well, it is up, I can move the rest of the things from the shed into it, and finally finish drywalling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crystal hangers.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	33855