View Single Post
Old 06-20-2023, 02:56 PM   #1169 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
I'd like the group to answer why they believe that industrialism, especially the burning of fossil fuels, isn't an environmental problem.
As freebeard pointed out, there is no consensus here. The question lacks sufficient specificity. Kinda like asking why people believe that eating, especially meat, isn't a health problem. Everything is assumed not to be a problem unless a specific issue is alleged.

My biggest complaint (and I'm not accusing you of this) is the deliberately imprecise and divisive use of "The Environment"; as if there is only 1, and it somehow magically encompasses flourishing for every imaginable plant and creature.

For example, "The environment" for various extremophiles is absolutely inhospitable for most other creatures. "The environment" for mosquitos in my house is inhospitable because I don't leave stagnant water for reproduction, or easy ingress/egress. It's a fantastic environment for me, though.

"The Environment" is a fictitious concept used as a religious construct by anti-humanists to fool people into believing any impact to Gaia's pristine nature is sinful. Somehow humanity is the only creature not part of Gaia's perfect creation.

That isn't an argument against preserving or improving various environments for various other species (environmentalism), only that I reject Environmentalism as a religion. I'm a humanist, and that means placing the highest value on human environments for the short, medium, and long term.

By the way, I don't begrudge anyone who practices The Environmentalism religion (Gaianism), as I don't believe humanity is capable of being free of religion. I only have contempt for those who wish to spread their religion by force. This is why so many have contempt for Greta, because she doesn't just practice her Gaia religion peaceably, but condemns the pagans and calls for a Crusade against them. It's a tragedy that such a bright and passionate young woman was indoctrinated into a violent and anti-humanist sect of Gaianism.

This is the explanation for my "title" under my username.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-20-2023 at 06:18 PM..