View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #48 (permalink)
can8v
EcoModding Lurker

Excellent work.

Kim,
This is by far the most interesting thread I have read in a long, long time and there is some fantastic threads on this forum and others regarding my beloved Metros. I have read some threads from in Indian blog; apparently converting Maruti 1000 taxi cabs to diesel is wildly popular over there. They are using a 0.8L Daewoo and the Toyota 1N 1.5L diesels. I believe the Maruti 1000 taxi cabs came stock with the G10A, but I could be wrong on that. Anyway the best I could get from the blog I was reading was that the Toyota 1N actually has slightly better performance the the "1000cc" engine and 20% better fuel efficiency. The Daewoo engine has 30% better fuel efficiency, but it gutless compared to the original "1000cc" engine. The article was primarily about curruption in the taxi industry in Mumbai, India and assumed the reader has some general automotive knowledge regarding cars on the market in India, which I do not, so it was bit of a challenge to follow. Anyway I suspect that the Kubota you are using will have numbers somewhere between the Daewoo and the Toyotas they are using in India.
On a side not if anyone wants a scooter for around town the 10HP Yanmar clone used in the conversion mentioned in one of the above post can be had brand new including shipping for $600 on ebay right now. It is a clone of the Yanmar L100. It is technically 9.9HP and a solid engine for the money. In my opinion it is not worthy of a Metro, but to each their own I guess.
I can hardly wait to see what you come up with on the kabota.
Kindest regards,
Jason