Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Awesome.

I've seen a guy who tucked a single-cylinder Changfa diesel into a Metro. 10 romping stomping horsepower, WOOHOO! It tops out at about 50mph and has one end of the engine sticking out through a hole in the hood, but it just goes to show that 200hp isn't necessary if you're just trying to get somewhere.
I saw it! Scary in the passing lane! I still have a 240hp Pontiac SSEI supercharged engine on a stand. It was originally going in this Metro behind the seats with a 6 speed. Overkill?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.44 mpg (US)
thats pretty cool. A company i used to work for had kubota 3cyl gas engines in the back of the vans...and I read the manual one day and found that the particular engine we used could be run on CNG...so maybe thats something else to consider.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Geo Metro Diesel Belly Up for a while

Sorry Modders, I have decided to not risk melting a nice running engine without finding out EXACTLY what I am up against. I suspect a governor problem. That requires the front end of the engine to be disassembeld completely. This means pulling the engine and tranny.

This is no big deal but I also want to actually remove an early 4 cylinder Metro trans myself to be sure it is the tallest geared one. Mine is definitely NOT 3.5 final drive. It is more like 4.1 as near as I can tell. The diesel has some good low end grunt and likes to be short shifted.

I will also modify the oil pan as the actual ground clearance is 2-3/4 inches right now. The engine is heavier and the front end is near bottomed out. So I will add some height to the front end to give it stock ride height.

Of course while the oil pan is off I will add a turbo drain fitting to it and maybe bend up some tubing for the intercooler.

The black smoke problem and inability to exceed 3300 rpm need to be overcome. Trust me, I will get to the bottom of it and make this sucker work. It may take another couple of weeks to get 'er done. ...Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of 6 valve.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of gutless.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1963  
Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #44 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
No rush a project like this takes time. Hell it took me 3 weeks to get my MpGuino to work. That is the thing about us modders we have to have patience.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
I was getting into this thread and read through the bad news. It's ok. Damn. Smoke problem could be cured through removing the cat, bigger diameter exhaust, and using Biodiesel (B20). Make sure she has a good size air filter. I'd be happy with the 3300 rev limiter. Diesels are low rpm units, most the torque at the bottom end. I'd say try to keep the RPMs below 2000 at 55 mph. Short shifting ok in my book, especially for hypermiling. Not really a comparison, but my F250 diesel has 4.10 gears and I do 1750 rpm at 55 mph. I think I am running around a .70 (+/- .02) overdrive.

Edison didn't get the light bulb right on the first try. What a rush though getting that diesel Metro on the road. I woulda loved to be riding shotgun, tools in hand! Hope you get it worked out...
Old 10-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #46 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Edison didn't get the light bulb right on the first try. What a rush though getting that diesel Metro on the road. I woulda loved to be riding shotgun, tools in hand! Hope you get it worked out...
What was Edison's quote.. a 1,000 ways NOT to make a lightbulb? Great job on everything so far. Anything worth doing is worth doing right!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

OK then...switching to Metro convertible #3. I'll be putting in the reground XFI cam maybe today. Need to have some loud AC/DC playing in the background. Edison would have invented anti gravity drive in a day if he had 2000 watts of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to kimer6 For This Useful Post:
abogart (04-03-2011)
Old 10-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Excellent work.

Kim,
This is by far the most interesting thread I have read in a long, long time and there is some fantastic threads on this forum and others regarding my beloved Metros. I have read some threads from in Indian blog; apparently converting Maruti 1000 taxi cabs to diesel is wildly popular over there. They are using a 0.8L Daewoo and the Toyota 1N 1.5L diesels. I believe the Maruti 1000 taxi cabs came stock with the G10A, but I could be wrong on that. Anyway the best I could get from the blog I was reading was that the Toyota 1N actually has slightly better performance the the "1000cc" engine and 20% better fuel efficiency. The Daewoo engine has 30% better fuel efficiency, but it gutless compared to the original "1000cc" engine. The article was primarily about curruption in the taxi industry in Mumbai, India and assumed the reader has some general automotive knowledge regarding cars on the market in India, which I do not, so it was bit of a challenge to follow. Anyway I suspect that the Kubota you are using will have numbers somewhere between the Daewoo and the Toyotas they are using in India.
On a side not if anyone wants a scooter for around town the 10HP Yanmar clone used in the conversion mentioned in one of the above post can be had brand new including shipping for $600 on ebay right now. It is a clone of the Yanmar L100. It is technically 9.9HP and a solid engine for the money. In my opinion it is not worthy of a Metro, but to each their own I guess.
I can hardly wait to see what you come up with on the kabota.
Kindest regards,
Jason
Old 10-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thank you Jason. I hear that Great Britain has many makes and models of small turbo diesels with common rail injection, computer controls, excellent drivability, and low emissions. The USA will not allow them to be imported. So, the Kubota was my only choice in the 24hp 1 liter range.

I am most interested to take the spare engine apart to see if it has variable advance on the injection timing. This is a must for clean exhaust and better drivability. So far the diesel concept works, fitting the Swift flywheel, larger clutch, and pressure plate, stock Metro transaxle (in the 3 cylinder gas engine stock location) was easily done and I could have left everything alone if it was to be used around town. But I want reliable freeway speed as well.

Another concept I may investigate: Put a Yanmar clone 9.9hp engine mounted to my 28 volt DC 300 amp aircraft generator in the trunk (boot, mate!) and convert to a DC motor drive like Forken Metro, have a few golf cart batteries on board. That way the car is never stranded for lack of charge and the diesel can be run from time to time depending on the charge state or road conditions. It should also provide the necessary power to run the car at 55mph on long trips while using the batteries for power surges needed to climb hills. Regenerative braking, of course. ....Cheers...Kim
Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

XFI cam change

[QUOTE=kimer6;68500]OK then...switching to Metro convertible #3. I'll be putting in the reground XFI cam maybe today.

I installed the reground XFI cam yesterday. 3 hours start to finish, easiest cam change I ever did! I put the 8 degree advanced cam sprocket on as well.

The car runs nicely but it seems to struggle over 4500 rpm to redline, no big deal in my driving habits. There is less throttle needed at all lower speeds. Short shifting comes naturally and the engine is very smooth. I like it! Can't wait to track mpg numbers.

Reply  Post New Thread