View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #24 (permalink)
azraelswrd
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Anyone catch Frontline tonight? I missed the first hour because of work but they are focusing on alternative energy and global warming (I thought we're calling it climate change now?).

The 2nd hour spent 25 minutes on cars, alternative fuels, zero-emissions and the EV-1. I especially loved the part where the Big Three posed for pictures with their diesel-electric hybrids but behind the scenes were busy pushing SUVs and bigger trucks. Meanwhile... Toyota and Honda were in panic mode and scrambling to get gas-electrics out quickly.

(we all know what happened after that -- does The Big Three? Or do they still have their heads in the sand?)

But the real kick to the nuts was when Frontline was invited by GM to shoot some footage of the razzle dazzle savior Volt for a publicity shot. It couldn't even make it up a hill before stalling out. It had to be pushed into the recovery trailer. GM reps there told the reporter that they could just speed up the tape... wow... how come I don't get this kind of stuff from 60 minutes?

And yes, remembering what happened to the EV-1 still makes me cringe.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance