View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #49 (permalink)
kimer6
EcoModding Apprentice

Thank you Jason. I hear that Great Britain has many makes and models of small turbo diesels with common rail injection, computer controls, excellent drivability, and low emissions. The USA will not allow them to be imported. So, the Kubota was my only choice in the 24hp 1 liter range.

I am most interested to take the spare engine apart to see if it has variable advance on the injection timing. This is a must for clean exhaust and better drivability. So far the diesel concept works, fitting the Swift flywheel, larger clutch, and pressure plate, stock Metro transaxle (in the 3 cylinder gas engine stock location) was easily done and I could have left everything alone if it was to be used around town. But I want reliable freeway speed as well.

Another concept I may investigate: Put a Yanmar clone 9.9hp engine mounted to my 28 volt DC 300 amp aircraft generator in the trunk (boot, mate!) and convert to a DC motor drive like Forken Metro, have a few golf cart batteries on board. That way the car is never stranded for lack of charge and the diesel can be run from time to time depending on the charge state or road conditions. It should also provide the necessary power to run the car at 55mph on long trips while using the batteries for power surges needed to climb hills. Regenerative braking, of course. ....Cheers...Kim