View Single Post
Old 08-24-2023, 10:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,230 Times in 4,656 Posts
'seal'

Quote:
Originally Posted by razordave View Post
After a teardown of the truck cap, I've decided to use the windows in a foamie build. I am leaning toward a hilo style, a pop up hardsided travel trailer.

It's only me and the dog, so I really don't need much but to me the teardrop style just seems uncomfortable as far as crawling around.

Does anyone have experience or photos or drawings of the mechanisms? I vaguely remember taking apart a tent style pop up camper over a dozen years ago. I seem to remember a pulley at each corner.

I'm mostly worried about how to create a seal all the way around the body.
The ones I've seen, of course had the 'upper' section shingle over the 'lower' section when deployed, with a hollow rubber gland seal around the perimeter.
The gap in between, partially 'squeezed' the gland in order to snug it up to both surfaces, without interfering with the telescoping function.
An automotive upholstery shop could sew up a 'gland' for you. It would just be an enlarged welt-cord, without the cordage sewn inside.
You could incorporate a tack strip to attach it to, crimp it into an aluminum channel, or just cement it in place with 3M's 400- Series contact adhesive, which is rated for 'outdoor' service.
razordave (08-24-2023)