Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2023, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,598 Times in 7,081 Posts
Quote:
So far I'm thinking to cut the front side completely out and maybe remove the hatch from the car.
Take care. The closed hatch stiffens the rear body. If you use external hinges forward of the hatch, a four-bar linkage could lift it with the hatch. Four-bars give a lot of latitude on how they move.

The biggest problem I see is it would enforce straight sides. If you split it and take 3 inches out of the front, you could take 6-9 inches out of the back.

If you take two patches out of the curves edges no longer than you need, and use curved edges to join it back together, you could approximate a compound curve.

Then it's down to pie cuts and shrinkers.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
razordave (08-13-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2023, 01:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Edit, sorry I meant to post this on the thread about the car. I removed the rear seat and once I build a hitch mounted trunk boat tail, I believe I should be able to camp in the car.

So this could be the end of the camper project for now.

I was driving into town today and spotted a direct TV slimline sat dish at the curb. Drove on by because I have a strong tendency toward collecting things I have no use for in the hopes that I will soon have a use for them.

On my way home after the second trip to town it was still there. I will strip the hardware and put it out as soon as I've finished.

Well... I now have a sturdy base on which to attach my truck topper based boattail. I may even use the dish itself as a rear bulkhead or something to that effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230812_221647.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	34051   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230813_005948.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	34052   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230813_010044.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	34053  
Old 08-22-2023, 04:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

After a teardown of the truck cap, I've decided to use the windows in a foamie build. I am leaning toward a hilo style, a pop up hardsided travel trailer.

It's only me and the dog, so I really don't need much but to me the teardrop style just seems uncomfortable as far as crawling around.

Does anyone have experience or photos or drawings of the mechanisms? I vaguely remember taking apart a tent style pop up camper over a dozen years ago. I seem to remember a pulley at each corner.

I'm mostly worried about how to create a seal all the way around the body.

Last edited by razordave; 08-22-2023 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to razordave For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-24-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Some advantage to hinging down the side:

i.auto-bild.de/ir_img/1/2/5/3/3/2/4/Transform-Camper-1200x800-cacb2f3ceb309f46.jpg

edit: There was a pickup canopy I'm trying to remember that had two hinged gables, that popped up into a gambrel roof.

Last edited by freebeard; 08-22-2023 at 06:16 PM..
razordave (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 10:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
'seal'

Quote:
Originally Posted by razordave View Post
After a teardown of the truck cap, I've decided to use the windows in a foamie build. I am leaning toward a hilo style, a pop up hardsided travel trailer.

It's only me and the dog, so I really don't need much but to me the teardrop style just seems uncomfortable as far as crawling around.

Does anyone have experience or photos or drawings of the mechanisms? I vaguely remember taking apart a tent style pop up camper over a dozen years ago. I seem to remember a pulley at each corner.

I'm mostly worried about how to create a seal all the way around the body.
The ones I've seen, of course had the 'upper' section shingle over the 'lower' section when deployed, with a hollow rubber gland seal around the perimeter.
The gap in between, partially 'squeezed' the gland in order to snug it up to both surfaces, without interfering with the telescoping function.
An automotive upholstery shop could sew up a 'gland' for you. It would just be an enlarged welt-cord, without the cordage sewn inside.
You could incorporate a tack strip to attach it to, crimp it into an aluminum channel, or just cement it in place with 3M's 400- Series contact adhesive, which is rated for 'outdoor' service.
razordave (08-24-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 10:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I've made some preparations for pulling a trailer. I removed all passenger seating, spare tire and muffler.

I installed honda atv springs inside my springs hoping to leave the ride height alone. It seems I have lifted the rear of the car 1.5 inches.

Airbags it is. I was trying to find airlift poly bags for inside my original springs but that was fruitless.

I have 2 trailers to choose from.
Trailer 1 is roughly 73" to the outside of the frame rails. It is shaped like a Y. I can cut the 5 feet out of the frame rails length where the tongue meets the angles. That will reduce the width by 33 inches. It would also bring the overall length down to 19' from 23. The axle mounts are all on u bolts so easily moved.

This trailer has tandem axles much wider and more robust than option 2.

Trailer 2 was a single pwc trailer. Shaped more like a slingshot I guess. Frame rails are 40" wide. I would likely need to extend this one 18-24" and add a crossmember outward from the tongue for the leading wall of my micro camper.

The wheels are 8" which scared me at first but I was reminded that I'm going for featherweight camper.

My current plan is a basic 4󫶜' box possibly with some roof taper. I would love to still incorporate that little 10 foot John boat but I guess it's not a deal breaker.

The more I remove from the car, the more I have to question whether I need a camper. The car has air conditioning and heat, it's watertight(ish), mobile.. maybe I only need a hitch cargo carrier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230825_202727.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	34105  
Old 08-25-2023, 10:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
I'd go plug-in hybrid, and camp outside or inside depending on the situation. Never liked the idea of hauling feces around the country. Best to leave it behind. Also never liked the idea of pooping where I eat. The lighter one travels, the happier they will be.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
razordave (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 12:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
The more I remove from the car, the more I have to question whether I need a camper. The car has air conditioning and heat, it's watertight(ish), mobile.. maybe I only need a hitch cargo carrier.
I have an interior that has migrated through the last few Beetles, currently in the Superbeetle. The deck is two pieces, one replaces the rear seat cushion and the other the shotgun seat. It makes an L-shaped platform six feet long and the width of the interior.

The rear luggage shelf has a Koolatron box. Welding rod curtain rods but no curtains. In the frunk is a 2ft diameter folding chair big enough to curl up and sleep in off the ground.

Prolly some other stuff like the 12V coffee pot.

Last time I overnighted in it was at the summit of the Donner Pass.

razordave (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 12:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My two really big wants for the travel trailer are

1 an insulated space to utilize a window shaker air conditioner either off of my 2000 watt generator or 1500 watt power inverter. Does anyone have ideas on a/c that would adapt to the car so you wouldn't have to idle while sleeping? My semi has a battery operated system that could be worth looking into although I'm sure it's expensive and complicated.

2 somewhere to mount spare tires and possibly carry a toy or two ie. Boat/atv

I've only ever had 4 blow outs in the 20 years I've been driving. As a tire tech I repaired and replaced thousands of damaged tires. My brain tends to want to bring two spares per vehicle.

I'm currently in Florida which makes me not want to sleep outside if at all possible between the heat and everything that is out there trying to eat you.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The best air conditioner is no air conditioiner

Quote:
https://www.usatoday.com › story › news › nation › 2021 › 09 › 30 › when-and-where-can-you-buy-worlds-whitest-paint › 5934876001
Whitest paint in world to be sold, could cool homes and replace AC
30 Sept 2021 NATION Global Warming Add Topic Cool your home by painting your roof: World's whitest paint on track to be sold to public Doyle Rice USA TODAY The paint reflects 98.1% of solar radiation...
It works in the dark.

razordave (08-26-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread