View Single Post
Old 08-28-2023, 02:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
A 200,000+ mile time bomb. EVs don't solve that problem, because the weak point is the battery.
I know this from experience after owning a 2013 Nissan Leaf.

At least an EV lets you charge from electricity. Everyone's needs are different.

Personally I wish I never had gotten rid of that 1985 VW Golf diesel with 700,000 miles on it. It ran, was easy to work on and the radio actually worked. Of course nostalgia can cloud one's judgement. I do remember the CV joints and door handles failing regularly. I do believe, though, that was because of the lack of quality of aftermarket parts.

No car is perfect. The bar I hold cars to is they need to transport what I need to transport. So at least 4 seatbelts and I can add a tow hitch for the rest. And the car needs to be under 20% average of my average income at most. Altogether and so far, for the past 5 years the Avalon has been about 17.2% of my income, including fuel, tires, etc.

But now that it's paid off maybe I can alot more money to fixing or replacing stuff like the radio (again) and HV battery. Right now I got swaybar bushings and links I need to put on it. But I need to subscribe to Toyota's repair info service to get the torque specs ($25 for two days). I'll probably have the dealer do the radio because at best it's a $70 subcription for every 2 days plus a $500 Mongoose OBDII tool just to have the tools to do it.

https://techinfo.snapon.com/TIS/Register.aspx