View Single Post
Old 09-01-2023, 05:11 PM   #51 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
So my recommendation is to network. If you've got a good reputation among reputable friends and family, then work finds you. The best in an industry don't advertise, they turn away work.

I'm not denying that racists don't want to hire certain groups of people, just that you wouldn't want to work for them anyway, and there's high demand for qualified people who can check a 'victimhood' box.

When I was discriminated against in my application for an apartment due to being a convicted felon, I didn't cry about it, I went somewhere that wanted my money.
Good recomendation, althought it's not going to work in every situation.

When I tried to work in the big city of Denver I spent day after day looking for work. I didn't have any friends or family there even though all my family lives in Colorado. But I couldn't seem to land a job anywhere. I spent over 6 months filling out applications and printing resumes on nearly a daily basis while renting someone's basement for a price that felt sky high. With no friends and no family, me accepting my first night jobs, and not even a bed to sleep in it was brutal.

I did find some work that kept me going financially, but nothing worth sticking around for. One job paid me half of what was minimum wage at the time with no tips. Another would work me nearly 80 hours one week and then let me off the whole next week and give me a paycheck without overtime, all minimum wage, because I had worked an average of 40 hours per week.

I probably could have complained to the right people and gotten paid my fair worth of work. But when you're young you don't feel like taking your boss you just got a month ago to court to get paid.

After those six months I did go to where I felt people wanted me to work for them, back to the mountains.