View Single Post
Old 09-10-2023, 12:21 PM   #96 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,180 Times in 808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Here in Reno everything goes to a transfer station and gets reloaded onto a drop deck extra capacity trailer, like those used in the oil fields for makeup water. Furthest roundtrip is 50 miles between transfer station and dump which seems to be a common distance in my experiences. So figure a 3 hour trip to and from dump including the dump of contents would make the pickup vehicle useless for a large portion of the day in most municipalities. They stopped dumping from the pick up vehicle before I left the small town I lived in 20 years ago and that dump was only 10 miles out.

Pretty sure we have one trial electric powered truck. Really stealthy except for the clunk of trashcans being emptied and the air brakes moaning or the massive signs proclaiming electric powered. Supposed to have high efficiency regen brakes but I haven't talked to the driver.
I don't know why but transfer stations kind of piss me off on some level. Like don't send your garbage off to bury in somebody else's back yard.
I realize that with scale comes better efficiency and can do better recycling and such. That said Reno should be plenty big to have all that capability local and not send it off to somewhere in the desert to probably just bury.

Maybe it's just jealousy having to live 1 mile from the actual landfill where they bring in trash from a 60 mile radius. Still that landfil has no recycling ability. There is a different one for compost about 2 miles away, and a metal, cardboard place 1.5 miles away. We have no glass or plastic ability that I know of.