View Single Post
Old 09-12-2023, 09:59 AM   #99 (permalink)
Piotrsko
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,124 Times in 991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I don't know why but transfer stations kind of piss me off on some level. Like don't send your garbage off to bury in somebody else's back yard.
I realize that with scale comes better efficiency and can do better recycling and such. That said Reno should be plenty big to have all that capability local and not send it off to somewhere in the desert to probably just bury.

Maybe it's just jealousy having to live 1 mile from the actual landfill where they bring in trash from a 60 mile radius. Still that landfil has no recycling ability. There is a different one for compost about 2 miles away, and a metal, cardboard place 1.5 miles away. We have no glass or plastic ability that I know of.
Isn't out in someone else's back yard, we had a couple of valleys at the edge of the county that were considered useless. They are rapidly becoming just hills. We have a crazy guy doing anything compostable in a different direction making and reselling soil amendments.

Don't know what we are doing on recycle other than a dedicated sequestration for pickup. Waste management isn't noted for their care of anything but profit. Before waste management bought the local Tehachapi collecting outfit, it was removing most of the recyclables from the stream and actually recycling them. The local guy was really proud of his efforts, then he retired.