Thread: It gets worse
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2023, 08:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't care much about the money as long as it's reflective of the value added.

Easy gigs bore me to death and I grow to despise them. Doesn't matter if I'm getting paid a ton to do something that doesn't challenge me.

Electricians don't have an easy job. They crawl on their bellies through puddles of water under houses, and tiptoe in rafters in 130 degree attics. It's work to be proud of though, because one has endured the situation and made a thing better afterwards.

About the same rate I'm at. It's not the electrician's wage that is alluring to me, but the opportunity to eventually own an outfit. My personality requires that I'm either the janitor with no responsibility, or the owner with all the responsibility. Middle-management are for people who enjoy being a bully, or incompetent at making the big decisions.
When I said my job is now easy, I didn't mean taskless, doing nothing. Compared to the mindless, repetitive, physical job without responsibility, as a letter carrier. Now I have a less physical job with responsibility and use my brain in a variety of ways. For awhile I did do work all night while the machines ran and I was sort of just on call waiting for something to break. Some nights nothing broke. That was too boring and working all night sucked. Now I do jack of all trades repairs. One day I'll be doing HVAC, another electrical repair, locksmith, then plumbing, another I'll just be painting lines in the parking lot. It's also cool because I can look at a job and deem it beyond my ability or availability, or unsafe for the tools available (I dont have a bucket truck for really high work), then it gets farmed out to a contractor. All work if possible is supposed to be done by a post office employee more along, those dollars should stay in house. But if something looks like that ****ty crawl around in the spider hole job, I can just pass and they hire a contractor instead. I don't even have to be the one finding and hiring. The best part is I do a 150 mile radius so I'm sometimes just driving on the clock 6 hours a day which I have always liked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-17-2023)