Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2023, 11:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
I'm considered a superior but not in charge of anyone. It's great.

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (10-17-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-14-2023, 01:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Why would you need a journeyman to fix a charger?
Liability. You know, dealing with high voltage is far from dumbproof, and if some random guy who is not properly trained regarding both electricity itseld and proper use of protective equipment, an accident may be quite expensive...
Old 10-14-2023, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,113 Times in 982 Posts
Liability here in the US would be held by the repair organization unless that was a single person operation. They would probably go after the charger company, the installer, the property owner and anybody else they can associate and has funds/insurance.

Your key comment is properly trained, journeyman is a pay grade
Old 10-17-2023, 08:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't care much about the money as long as it's reflective of the value added.

Easy gigs bore me to death and I grow to despise them. Doesn't matter if I'm getting paid a ton to do something that doesn't challenge me.

Electricians don't have an easy job. They crawl on their bellies through puddles of water under houses, and tiptoe in rafters in 130 degree attics. It's work to be proud of though, because one has endured the situation and made a thing better afterwards.

About the same rate I'm at. It's not the electrician's wage that is alluring to me, but the opportunity to eventually own an outfit. My personality requires that I'm either the janitor with no responsibility, or the owner with all the responsibility. Middle-management are for people who enjoy being a bully, or incompetent at making the big decisions.
When I said my job is now easy, I didn't mean taskless, doing nothing. Compared to the mindless, repetitive, physical job without responsibility, as a letter carrier. Now I have a less physical job with responsibility and use my brain in a variety of ways. For awhile I did do work all night while the machines ran and I was sort of just on call waiting for something to break. Some nights nothing broke. That was too boring and working all night sucked. Now I do jack of all trades repairs. One day I'll be doing HVAC, another electrical repair, locksmith, then plumbing, another I'll just be painting lines in the parking lot. It's also cool because I can look at a job and deem it beyond my ability or availability, or unsafe for the tools available (I dont have a bucket truck for really high work), then it gets farmed out to a contractor. All work if possible is supposed to be done by a post office employee more along, those dollars should stay in house. But if something looks like that ****ty crawl around in the spider hole job, I can just pass and they hire a contractor instead. I don't even have to be the one finding and hiring. The best part is I do a 150 mile radius so I'm sometimes just driving on the clock 6 hours a day which I have always liked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 10:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Liability here in the US would be held by the repair organization unless that was a single person operation.
I guess you know what I meant, keeping someone without proper training in charge (no pun intended) of the maintenance of recharging infrastructures.
Old 10-23-2023, 02:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I worked a number of technical jobs including inspections and testing. Once a notice came up for a wind mill technician. Everything looked fine until I got to the part about being able to rappel 200 feet.
Old 10-31-2023, 05:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
It probably depends on what is failing. The circuit boards and communication links can be back doored, but there are also some dangerous high voltage connections, inverters, and transformers, cooling systems, etc. That would need actual electricians. These things are probably more complicated and dangerous than commercial HVAC systems.

The biggest issue we've had with chargers at work is payments and communication with the vehicle. Generally it is something that can be reset and fixed remotely but the average person doesn't call the number on the charger - they just move to the next one.

The basic electrical components are pretty reliable.

Reply  Post New Thread