View Single Post
Old 10-30-2023, 01:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,606 Posts
Metakoo e-bike 1 year review... bought a Jetson Bolt Pro!

Just over a year later, I've put about 750 km on the "Metakoo" mountain e-bike. I added a rear basket, fenders, lights and a bell.

It does exactly what I want it to do. 99% reliable & useful.

The only bug I've encountered is sometimes right after charging, it will randomly power itself off -- just once -- while underway. Hard on/off via the battery pack switch fixes that.

I'd say 80% of its use replaced short car trips (errands).

---

BUT... it may have just met its replacement. I just bought the Mitsubishi Mirage of e-bikes!

I picked this up for $100 at a local thrift/overstock store. It's a 1 year-old "Jetson Bolt Pro".

New, these things go for around $425 CAD or $300 USD (plus tax) at Costco. The store I got it from buys warranty returns from Costco and re-sells the working & easily fixed ones for about $225. The rest go "as-is" for $100 to guys like me.

I rolled the dice, threw down my C-note, and it turned out the problem was just a broken wire to the throttle control! (This is actually the 2nd one I've bought. The first one only had a broken power switch.)

The 36 volt / 6 Ah battery is quite a bit smaller than the mountain e-bike I got last year. And the factory range specs are pretty optimistic:

So far, I've only ridden it about 75 km / ~45 miles.

Pros:
  • It's silly fun to ride - short wheelbase & wheels make it hilariously steerable/chuckable, yet it still feels stable at max speed.
  • It's small enough to easily carry inside / put in the back of a car
  • Takes up much less room in the garage
  • Surprisingly solid-feeling (100% rattle-free ride)
  • It has a "cruise control" button on the throttle, so you can dial in whatever amount of assist you want, then hit the button, making for infinite assist levels vs. the 5 pre-programmed levels of assist on the Metakoo
  • very bright, built-in 36v headlight

Cons:
  • The pedal-assist function is too aggressive (adds way more power than I want for a given crank speed), so I disabled it (unplugged the cadence sensor). I just use the throttle & cruise control button - thus also saving energy.
  • Not very light for its size: 41 lbs (steel frame) vs 46 lbs mountain bike (aluminum)
  • If the battery ever dies, it's not a very good bike (short crank arms are my main complaint)

I've been using it regularly for errands and am surprised how useful & enjoyable it is. Yes, it's compromised, but it's about 80% as useful as the bigger bike ... for about 12% of the price!

I'm seriously considering keeping this wee bike and selling the Metakoo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20231020_133749-1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	34283   Click image for larger version

Name:	394262353_6516196605158960_5013157218963883243_n.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	34284  
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (10-31-2023), redpoint5 (10-30-2023)