View Single Post
Old 11-07-2023, 03:59 PM   #298 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,518 Times in 1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
https://youtu.be/fPV1FE-0UOE?si=YsmiEEQ0gklbkqb6

I’m talking about steady state mpg with cruise control. Lots of other factors over the course of a 700 mile tank affect the mpg. Like cold starts. City driving. Accelerating. Flooring it to pass someone. Running heating or ac systems wind direction. Temperature changed and so on.

Whole tank averages show the efficiency of the engine itself. Not the aerodynamics

Which I also learned that Hyundai engines suck for cold starts and short trips versus Toyota, which the Prius uses a special coolant warming system to help mpg with city driving and getting cabin heat
I see 125mpg driving at 30-40mph out of my MX-5, and ~52mpg at 62. However my tank averages tend to be closer to 40, and generally not better than 45 even on road trips (even where I burn an entire tank without stopping), because of whatever environmental factors. On my Insight, I'd have entire trips where the fuel economy was 150+, because the battery charge was a bit high and the car was invisibly bleeding it down to middle charge. Other trips were <65, when I knew the car would get 75-80 at those speeds, because it was invisibly charging in the background. I came to realize sharing instant or even trip fuel economy was disingenuous in that hybird, because a lot was going on in the background.

I've been under the impression the Ioniq is capable of 70-90mpg highway. I'm curious what it actually gets.