View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #30 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptero View Post
Jason, you can keep your scangauges and tachometers, my most valuable instrument is this bird, mouted on the cowl of my Smart car. All this $4 flowerpot bird has to do to tell me everything I need to know about hypermiling is just to flap its set of spring-loaded wings in a particular way.
Perfect! After driving 50 miles home in a 25 MPH / Gusting to 40 MPH headwind today, I looked for flags or trees for an indicator. This (or a ribbon) gives you the perfect airspeed and direction. Brilliant!

In all seriousness, I'm worried about the battery. It's 6-7 years old, cranks slowly in cold weather, and could be taxing the alternator. I've often hit hard road bumps or rural/gravel road vibration in typical operation. There's a pull like the A/C engaging, which I'm convinced is the alternator draw.

An Ammeter would be ideal. Installing one seems to be a challenge (and a new batt -- is it too early???). It still starts!

RH77

_
_