View Single Post
Old 11-28-2023, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Welcome, Bm93!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm93 View Post
Is it more fuel efficient to speed up to my preferred speed at any point in time and cruise, or slowly speed up?
Your engine generates the most power per unit of fuel used at relatively high load & low RPM (research "peak Brake Specific Fuel Consumption -- BSFC). So, some members here will suggest you should accelerate briskly, but at low/moderate RPM to get to your target speed. BUT it's more nuanced than that -- operating at highest engine efficiency doesn't equal lowest fuel consumption. And if you are forced to slow/brake shortly after accelerating quickly, your fuel economy will be much worse compared to slower, more gentle acceleration.

In the end, your acceleration technique isn't as important for best MPG as your gear choice (always upshift to the highest possible gear), and crusing speed (lower is better for MPG).

Quote:
What's the most optimal speed on a motorway (or RPM), with my car that has 5 gears?

Your best fuel economy will be at the lowest speed you can reasonably travel in top gear. Lots of discussion & graphs illustrating this here:

Thread: Speed vs. MPG charts (post 'em if you got 'em)

The info you'll see in that thread underlines why so many people here focus on modifying our cars to reduce aerodynamic drag. Wind drag is the primary cause of increasing fuel consumption above around 25-30 mph.

Quote:
I was going to test different methods each week and refuel on Monday to get a baseline each week.
Just keep in mind as you're watching your numbers that your fuel economy can vary dramatically from tank to tank even if you use the same driving techniques on the same route. Weather has a huge impact: temperature (dropping temps = declining MPG); dampness (rain = much worse than dry); headwind/crosswinds are bad. They all have a big impact.

Good to see you're monitoring your results. That's key to improving. Keep records & make a graph - use our fuel economy tracker, or one on another site.

Make it a game!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
ECO-AKJ (11-28-2023), Joggernot (11-29-2023)