Thread: Gasoline VAPOR?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2023, 05:25 PM   #74 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,580 Posts
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to know what you're basing these assertions on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
If what is written is correct, the engine is only able to make use of 30% of the fuel fed by a carb Throttle Body Injection, Turned Port Injected and even Direct injection.
Based on?

Quote:
All these systems are gasoline droplets trying to convert to vapor. There is NO time for this to happen with in the combustion cycle.
How long is needed?

How quickly does a micro-droplet of a volatile hydrocarbon take to vaporize when it's suspended in a 3000° kelvin gas?

EDIT: I just looked up the auto-ignition point of gasoline - it's 280°C, or 536°F.

Quote:
SO If the fuel in converted to 100% vapor and then fed to the engine, it is said to burn much faster than any standard system and there is NO need to throw 100% of current fuel feeds to GET that 30% power making vapor.
What's interesting to me is that diesel engines burn their fuel by compressing it until it explodes - 100% ignition, instantaneously.

Diesel has around 15%(?) more energy content per volume of fuel.

At work, we have a Rav4 gasoline, and a Rav4 diesel, both with similar engine sizes. The diesel gets around 15% better fuel economy.

If the diesel is getting around 35mpg, should not the gasoline version get only 10mpg? What am I missing?

Quote:
Direct injection has already shown it to be a bad idea, unless YOUR selling the intake valve cleaning services which can be a new money maker for car dealers.
Mazda's direct injection engines have been torn down north of 200,000 miles, and the valves have still been essentially clean. Evidently it depends on the implementation.

Quote:
They still have the same problem getting the fuel to vaporize.
Based on? What manufacturers publish suggests incomplete combustion is 2% or less. Are we being lied to?

I'm not suggesting there isn't gain to be had by improving vaporization, but we have the engine makers saying <2%, and you saying 70%. And, we have examples of engines that do not have vaporization problems which show only marginal improvement.

Last edited by Ecky; 11-28-2023 at 05:31 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (11-28-2023)