View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
RH77 -

Sorry about the WD. My coworker got some external USB hard drives on sale from Best Buy (stood in line before it opened to be first in line). Within a week they started failing. You guessed it! WD!!!!!!!!!!

CarloSW2
Since the "Desktop Age" is fading in the home market, I hope I won't have to buy another drive -- but with laptop drives getting bigger, backup will become an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
I haven't had too much trouble with hard drives failing, but I would recommend the Seagates for that 5 year warranty. I did have one Seagate fail on me (somehow happened after it has been in storage for a few months, as it worked perfectly before), but it was replaced for free under warranty and the replacement was 50GB larger as compensation for the trouble.

If reliability is your prime concern, SSD is the way to go. RAID arrays are also good.
I think I had a Seagate go out on me, but it was a 540MB oldie, but they're customer service sounds good.

I'm an amateur computer "recycler", so I've acquired several parts during repairs/upgrades, and by just taking old computers off of people's hands. The only parts I've really bought have been networking components, and the Samsung drive -- speaking of which, the BIOS refuses to recognize the full capacity. I have another 1GHZ box to possibly move it over to.

It's funny, with SSD, "Solid-State" reminds me of my grandparents console TV (get up and change the channel -- kerchunk, kerchunk), but a great idea for data storage.

Have the prices on these come down? I know they're popular with military applications where vibration and failure rates are an issue, but I haven't priced them for a while.

RH77

_
_