View Single Post
Old 12-22-2023, 03:17 AM   #847 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You should like the Trax then because it is classified as a station wagon. Too low to the ground to classify as light truck. The author of the review I read said the Trax reminded them of driving the Cruze Hatchback.

It is always nice when manufacturers sneak in a wagon - even if they have to pretend it is something else. In my opinion a hatchback or wagon is always superior than a sedan. Far too little utility in a sedan for the footprint.
Ya, I can see a sedan as having less utility. The pros for a sedan IMO and IMC (in my circumstances) are:
  1. A sedan should be more aerodynamic which gets (slightly) better fuel mileage.
  2. There is a bit more safety when your luggage is compartmentalized.
  3. As an amateur radio operator a trunk lid doubles as a second ground plane, and its smaller size is fine for a VHF/UHF antenna, leaving space on the roof for an HF antenna, considered by some to be the optimal multi-band setup.
But yes, there is a penalty for lowering the luggage capacity to a trunk. Looking at RAV4's vs. Camrys a few years ago, they were almost the same in most interior dimentions, except the RAV4 had about double the luggage capacity.

That, and a hatch will fit a bigger object, which is even better when the rear seats lay flat or are removeable.

What I like about this forum is the people on here have a way of convincing me of thinking the opposite that my armchair intuition tells me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
I had both a notchback and a fastback version of the 2nd generation Toyota Celica (The first was known as Camaro-San.) and really had no use for more utility when I had the notchback. The little trunk was super-convenient for shopping. However, I had the fastback when real estate went nuts, and I moved into it to seek better conditions. It also hauled firewood.
If I had the money and room for one, I'd get and use the capacity of a full sized van. I could even find use cases for a bus that could hold dozens of passengers if I had one.

But since saving money is important to me, something with at least 4 seats and that can hold a couple bags of groceries is all the utility I really, really need. Not that more utility wouldn't be welcome if it costs about the same.