View Single Post
Old 03-08-2024, 10:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,557 Posts
I can speak to my experiences. Maybe some part of it will be helpful.

~

After some life events, I decided to pack up and move to New Zealand. I looked into what would be required to bring my Insight here, and while I might have been able to squeak by if I were very savvy about it, realistically the car would never be registerable on the roads here. Not because of the engine swap, mind you, but because I had cut some of the brackets out that held the IMA stuff in place, and those were irreversible cuts to the unibody of the car - a big no-no in this regulatory environment. Also, I had non-standard seats which had obvious modifications to hold the Insight seatbelts. Add to that a lack of traction control, and the steering wheel being on the wrong side, and my case would not be good.

I sold the car. The new owner gets a lot of joy out of it; we keep in contact. I bought a much newer convertible, one that gets pretty fantastic fuel economy in its own right, and is renowned for its reliability, handling, and driver engagement. Compared with the Insight, I'd argue it's a less engaging drive. There are tons of things I miss about my old car, but truthfully it wouldn't have been the right fit here. The speed limits are lower, and every road is winding. The weather is always mild and the sky is usually blue, and I get a lot of enjoyment from top down driving. I really like my new car, even if I don't love it like I loved the Insight.

Overall, selling the Insight was the right choice. Life goes on. I sometimes think about building another, using a local chassis, but it still wouldn't be the right car for the circumstances.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-09-2024), freebeard (03-08-2024), JSH (03-10-2024)