Thread: HVAC Heat Pump
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbstockton6@hotmail.co View Post
Regarding closing off returns... you SHOULD familiarize yourself with TESP measurements (static pressure in ducts) This is easy, but you need to buy, borrow or make a manometer. You also need to verify the TR (temperature rise from return (intake) air and supply duct air temperature. Compare that to the label on the furnace.
Good advice. Seems simple enough.

Quote:
Fan speeds... you may be able to lower the fan speed for heat... ( but, not if you don't understand the function/purpose of the above two easy to preform tests.)
Do you know what your fan speed is? For example, a 80,000 btu furnace should have a minimum of 20x25 inch duct.....
What is the size of your return duct... should be equivalent to 16" round for a 80k btu and 1200 cfm.
Don't know my fan speed. My furnace is 125,000 BTU, with 100,000 of useful heating. I have 2 returns shown in this photo. The cylindrical vertical one is from the upstairs ceiling, and the other is on the floor of the basement with the filters sitting on top.

Quote:
Are the ducts rigid or flex?
Flex branches; each one going to an individual register.

Quote:
Furnaces usually have a separate speed for heat and a faster speed for A/C....
If mine does, it's not reflected in power consumption. I would think less speed is needed for AC considering 5 tons of cooling is nothing compared to 100,000 BTUs of heating.

Quote:
And, it's possible....you might spend lots of money/time and not solve your temperature stratification cheaply...( newer units will have more efficient blowers that operate more cheaply (guess around 30%?) if you want/need to run the fan more often.
One person suggested installing more registers both upstairs and down, and that way some of the upstairs/downstairs ones can be closed depending on the season. I basically need all of my cooling to come from upstairs in the summer, and 90% of heating to come from downstairs in the winter. I've got 10 registers upstairs, and 7 down.

Here's the downstairs, with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom not pictured (behind). The white door on the left leads to the utility room where the furnace is.

The rest of the single main supply plenum

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-11-2024 at 08:16 PM..