View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 01:27 PM   #931 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
We also don't know the price of the K4 as far as I know. Speculation seems to think it'll be $22,000 and up.

So one thing I'm thinking is that after the Versa and Mirage are out, there will be no more cars that are truely under $20,000 (including destination charges). But, the idea is that cars last longer and can get better fuel mileage. I'm not sure if they are a better deal, an equal deal (breaking even over the life of the vehicle compared to economy cars of old, adjusted for inflation) or if they're just a lot more car for a little more money.

What's with the need for more ground clearance? Are people off-roading in these? Or do people not want to have to sit "down" into a car? Personally I prefer a closer-to-ground feel than sitting up high, even as a commercial truck/bus driver. Not that it's a dealbreaker, although admittedly there are times when I did wish the Avalon were higher. I guess my dream car when I spontaneously become a millionaire would be one that has adjustable suspention. Good thing that's just a dream.

I don't think the average car buyer actually knows the difference between an SUV and a crossover.

I can see why people perfer a hatch with generous luggage space.

It isn't surprising that there will no longer be new cars priced under $20K considering that the median US household income is $75K and the average new car buyer has an income about 50% higher than that. A $20K car with $0 down has a payment of about $325 a month. That is about 5% of that median household's monthly income.

There is no doubt that cars are a better deal today that the last 3 - 4 decades. Comparing like to like they cost lest adjusted for inflation and are much better. Size, power, fuel economy, reliability...

Why do people want more ground clearance? Wel are generally talking about a range of 6.5 - 7.5 inches. That helps for gravel roads and in the snow belt. However, that isn't the primary draw. As you said, people like to sit higher. The higher seat height not only makes getting in and out of the car easier but also give better visibility in traffic. And then there is fashion.

The crossover name has no real meaning anymore - marketing department have stretched it so far that basically anything that is unibody and not a sedan or pickup is called a crossover today. Same with marketing class sizes that say an Accord is mid-size. That is about as accurate as my that say they have a 36" waist but actually measure 40". Vanity sizing is for both clothes and cars.

Last edited by JSH; 03-28-2024 at 02:21 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-28-2024)