View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
speedmpgchaser
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
From your list - I would look for an Echo. Rock solid and unloved car - which means lower prices than a Civic or Corolla.

I would add a 1st gen Honda Fit to your list. You do deliveries as it has more cargo room than an Echo, Civic or Corolla.
I've since bought an echo, and REALLY enjoyed it. Averaging 40-43mpg with very few hypermilling techniques (high tire pressure and being conscious of coasting to stoplights, when possible). Headwinds really hurt it on the freeway, though.

Problem with it and why I'm shopping again is.. really have use for the 4 door version. Finding one as a manual, though, with lower miles.. is RARE.

The Fit looks like a good car, resale tends to be higher than the same value I would get from a Yota, though :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
Echo is good. Early Scion xA and xB with the same 1.5L engine are good too. Yaris should be just as good, but newer.
Mitsubishi Mirage?
Trying to avoid the 3 cyl's in general, would've stuck with the metro otherwise. Honestly think an echo will outlast it anyhow.

The scion is definitely more popular, which gives me a better chance at finding a non coupe style, in manual. Problem I have with it is.. very buzzy on the highway, due to 5th not being geared high enough. Different final drive than the yaris and echo.

Looking for a sedan echo still and watching for a deal on a yaris to come up- my biggest concern with the scion and yaris is- they're about 300lb heavier than the echo. Seems like I will lose 2-4mpg, with the added weight. Didn't have to interior strip the echo to be at that weight, and I'd prefer not to, in general.
Doing a trans/5th gear swap on an xA would be great, but seems cost prohibitive (may as well spend the difference on a couple year newer Yaris).