Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2023, 01:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Echo is good. Early Scion xA and xB with the same 1.5L engine are good too. Yaris should be just as good, but newer.

Mitsubishi Mirage?

2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

The Following User Says Thank You to Gasoline Fumes For This Useful Post:
speedmpgchaser (04-04-2024)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-29-2023, 02:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I would add a 1st gen Honda Fit to your list. You do deliveries as it has more cargo room than an Echo, Civic or Corolla.
The Fit is surprisingly roomy considering its size. A good choice overall.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
This thread seems most appropriate for this:

www.zerohedge.com: EU Considers Banning Repairs On ICE Vehicles More Than 15 Years Old
Quote:
And how do they plan on doing that? According to Wheels Alive, a UK automobile publication, the EU is considering banning repairs on vehicles that are more than 15 years old.

The proposed measure, put forward by the European Commission and pending ratification, seeks to gradually eliminate older, high-emission vehicles to promote the adoption of greener alternatives. This pending legislation, which requires the green light from both the European Parliament and the Council, introduces the concept of a 'residual vehicle'.
The European Commission proposes to tackle this by targeting the longevity of cars, introducing draft regulations to redefine waste management for end-of-life vehicles to encourage recycling and a circular economy.

Despite concerns, the regulation aims to identify vehicles beyond repair due to significant damage or when repair costs exceed market value, without barring necessary repairs or replacements for standard cars.

This has sparked debate regarding its effect on the automotive repair industry and the fate of classic cars, underlining the complexities of balancing environmental goals with economic and cultural considerations.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Looks like Wisconsin finally recognizes the federal 25 year rule for Kei vehicles so that opens up a lot of Japanese options
Old 03-04-2024, 01:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Looks like Wisconsin finally recognizes the federal 25 year rule for Kei vehicles so that opens up a lot of Japanese options
Federal law allows vehicles older than 25 years to be imported into the USA for off-highway use only. Some states allow imported cars to be registered for road use (and some even allow UTVs to be used on the road) but on-highway use is not allowed per Federal rules unless the vehicle has been certified to meet US safety and emission regulations.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I suddenly feel like I want a 1995 or earlier Geo Metro.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
After drinking the Ecomodder Kool-aid for a while, I bought the first one I saw, a $1K XFi.

But I still have the Superbeetle waiting on an engine refresh.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (03-08-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 09:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I miss my Super Beetle too.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
From your list - I would look for an Echo. Rock solid and unloved car - which means lower prices than a Civic or Corolla.

I would add a 1st gen Honda Fit to your list. You do deliveries as it has more cargo room than an Echo, Civic or Corolla.
I've since bought an echo, and REALLY enjoyed it. Averaging 40-43mpg with very few hypermilling techniques (high tire pressure and being conscious of coasting to stoplights, when possible). Headwinds really hurt it on the freeway, though.

Problem with it and why I'm shopping again is.. really have use for the 4 door version. Finding one as a manual, though, with lower miles.. is RARE.

The Fit looks like a good car, resale tends to be higher than the same value I would get from a Yota, though :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
Echo is good. Early Scion xA and xB with the same 1.5L engine are good too. Yaris should be just as good, but newer.
Mitsubishi Mirage?
Trying to avoid the 3 cyl's in general, would've stuck with the metro otherwise. Honestly think an echo will outlast it anyhow.

The scion is definitely more popular, which gives me a better chance at finding a non coupe style, in manual. Problem I have with it is.. very buzzy on the highway, due to 5th not being geared high enough. Different final drive than the yaris and echo.

Looking for a sedan echo still and watching for a deal on a yaris to come up- my biggest concern with the scion and yaris is- they're about 300lb heavier than the echo. Seems like I will lose 2-4mpg, with the added weight. Didn't have to interior strip the echo to be at that weight, and I'd prefer not to, in general.
Doing a trans/5th gear swap on an xA would be great, but seems cost prohibitive (may as well spend the difference on a couple year newer Yaris).
Old 04-04-2024, 01:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
MK I or MK II (non-TDI) VW Diesel hands down! I could get 60mph highway. Hypermiling (shift soon and keep it floored) really helped get better fuel mileage. The non-turbo editions didn't have hardly any power, but are dead simple, hardly every die (as long as you don't wait too long to change the timing chane) and cheap and easy to work on.
I like these.. but hard to find not rotted out around me. Also, they're often being priced between an echo, or Yaris, when clean. Especially like with the older rabbits, hard to justify spending the same money on a car 20 years older than the 20 y/o vehicles I'm already looking at

Reply  Post New Thread