View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,518 Times in 1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
I wondered how long you'd last before you wanted to get another Insight. It's been 15 months since I sold mine; I miss it but 60-70 mpg in the Prius C and < $3/gal gas with discounts isn't motivating enough for me to get another one. What are NZ laws like on importing cars? Any restrictions on usage, rarity, or age?

Lithium conversion is definitely tempting, and it looks like the relative simplicity of the Insight's system is allowing it to be more reliable and robust than the attempts at converting the Prius to run on lithium.
I'll probably keep the Miat too. Car insurance is like $6 per month so there's not much incentive not to have multiple cars. On the other hand, fuel here is closer to $7.50US per gallon of regular, and premium is around 10-15% more than that.

As far as imports, vehicles newer than a certain point need to have traction control and be right hand drive, but the Insight is old enough to be exempt from these. Additionally, any vehicle going on the road needs to pass an inspection. Many modifications would fail a car, but nearly all stock cars, in good working order, from any market, will pass. Generally if it's good enough to be sold in Japan or Europe or North America, it's good enough for here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
mpg_numbers_guy (04-25-2024)