View Single Post
Old 05-29-2024, 02:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Healthcare is not free in New Zealand. It is paid for by taxes - which is a far more effective and cheaper way to pay for a population's health care - but it still has a cost.
We can agree to call it "paid for by taxes".

I made a spreadsheet of the effective taxes paid. Taxes paid are around 11% lower at every income point above $100,000USD, and the advantage is larger at lower incomes. First $10,000US, NZ taxes paid is 55% lower. By US$30,000, the taxes paid are 36% lower. The effective rate for a seven figure earner is still 11% lower.

The average out of pocket expense for someone in the US for healthcare is roughly equal to a third of the taxes paid by the median income earner in NZ.

The median income earner in NZ has now exceeded the median earner in the US, before taxes. Median individual wealth (not average) is around twice as high in NZ as in the US. Also, my life expectancy has gone up by 7 years moving here.

A median income earner and a minimum wage earner together have the income to qualify for (and afford to pay for) a mortgage on the median house in both Wellington and Auckland.

The numbers look pretty bad for the US from virtually every angle. I can guess what might be going wrong, but it's hard to know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Perhaps it favors pensioners?

I 'Braved' (I don't Google unless I must) cost of living in "New Zealand", and the AI had this to say;

I've been finding the built-in Brave AI results to be useful for summarizing things and quickly finding pertinent information. Seems to be a summary of about the top 3 search results.
I asked AI for similar numbers from the USA. If the average cost for a single person in New Zealand is $815-$1000(NZD) per month, which is $500-$613USD, here are the USA numbers:

Quote:
The average cost of living per month for a single person in the US varies significantly depending on location and lifestyle. However, here are some estimates based on recent data:

National Averages:

Forbes Advisor (2022): $3,693 per month or $44,312 annually.
Expatistan (2024): $3,403 per month.
Upwardli (2024): $3,189 per month or $38,266 annually.
Major Expenses Breakdown:

Housing: The largest expense, averaging $1,784 per month. This can vary greatly based on location (city vs. rural), type of housing (apartment vs. house), and size.
Utilities: Approximately $300 per month for electricity, gas, water, and internet.
Transportation: Can be significant depending on car ownership and public transportation usage. The national average is $819, including car payments, insurance, gas, and public transportation.
Food: On average, a single person spends $610 per month on groceries and dining out.
Healthcare: Healthcare costs in the US are notoriously high. The average is $431 per month for medical expenses and insurance premiums.
Other Expenses: This includes entertainment, clothing, personal care, and miscellaneous costs, averaging around $243 per month.
Factors Affecting Cost of Living:

Location: Cities like New York and San Francisco have much higher costs of living than smaller towns or rural areas.
Lifestyle: Eating out frequently, owning a car, and engaging in expensive hobbies will increase costs.
Healthcare Needs: Individuals with chronic conditions or those requiring regular medical attention may have higher healthcare costs.
In other words, AI seems to think the cost of living in the USA for a single person is around 6x higher. With approximately the same median income, and a higher tax rate.

Last edited by Ecky; 05-29-2024 at 03:09 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (05-29-2024), rmay635703 (05-30-2024)