View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
DoctorP82
EcoModding Lurker

Boy Blue - '93 Jeep Cherokee Country
90 day: 18.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSatz View Post
E10 is mandated throughout Missouri.
Are you sure? MFA Oil is who supplies Breaktime, and its their super that contains E10, but regular is not advertised as an E10 blend. They do advertise the E10 super as having an 89 octane whereas regular is 87, though with the general consensus that ethanol decreases fuel economy I think the octane rating is moot.

On another note, how is using ethanol additive better just because it's renewable? Because of government requirements for farmers to put a certain percentage of corn crop towards ethanol fuel production we have an increase in that food crop cost (FOOD, which I would take over oil). Also, with the decrease in fuel efficiency with ethanol additives, wouldn't you find that there is more of a demand for oil? Nevermind that you are diluting it.

I would be interested in whether the ethanol-diluted gas goes further on the same price and how that compensates for the decrease efficiency. However, not everyone is as fuel consciencious with the way they drive as ecomodders are, so I'm not sure about it breaking even with people who still guzzle gas.