Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
5.4L Econo Box

Plugger - '05 Ford F-150HD 4x4 XL
If you do some research (including the study linked above), you will find that, unless the vehicle is tuned for an ethanol blend (basically a flex fuel vehicle), a mileage gain is improbable at best. More than likely, any gains noted will be from other things, not the blended fuel. It's a pretty universal thing... just not as much energy in the fuel and the tuning needs of the engine change with the amount of ethanol which may throw it off more. Some of the cars in the study went excessively lean at WOT, a situation which could be damaging to the engine (of course ecomodder never open the throttle ( : < ). When the vehicle is properly tuned, it can do as well on blended as with straight gas, or nearly so. I'm going to be doing a custom tune on my F-150 in the near future and with blended fuels so prevalent, I may factor an E10 blend into it and see where it takes me.

My ultimate goal is not necessarily the highest mpg but to make my trucks more efficient configured as I need them.

Old Reliable '86 Ford F-250HD 4x4, 6.9L diesel

Red '00 Honda Accord Coupe, 3.0L V6, automatic

The Plugger '05 Ford F-150HD 4x4, Regular Cab, 8-ft bed, 8,200# GVW, 5.4L V8, automatic, 4.10:1 ratios, 285/70R-17D tires

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Boy Blue - '93 Jeep Cherokee Country
90 day: 18.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSatz View Post
E10 is mandated throughout Missouri.
Are you sure? MFA Oil is who supplies Breaktime, and its their super that contains E10, but regular is not advertised as an E10 blend. They do advertise the E10 super as having an 89 octane whereas regular is 87, though with the general consensus that ethanol decreases fuel economy I think the octane rating is moot.

On another note, how is using ethanol additive better just because it's renewable? Because of government requirements for farmers to put a certain percentage of corn crop towards ethanol fuel production we have an increase in that food crop cost (FOOD, which I would take over oil). Also, with the decrease in fuel efficiency with ethanol additives, wouldn't you find that there is more of a demand for oil? Nevermind that you are diluting it.

I would be interested in whether the ethanol-diluted gas goes further on the same price and how that compensates for the decrease efficiency. However, not everyone is as fuel consciencious with the way they drive as ecomodders are, so I'm not sure about it breaking even with people who still guzzle gas.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
5.4L Econo Box

Plugger - '05 Ford F-150HD 4x4 XL
DoctorP82: Well said overall. Ethanol does increase the octane rating of the fuel, so you see it in some premium of midgrade fuels.

I ran a quick-n-dirty scenario (20 mpg) and found that with a 4 percent drop in FE from E10, the blended fuel would have to be $0.09 cheaper per gallon to break even. I'm not seeing any discounts here, so all I got is the drop in MPG. Wooo-hoo! Or should I say, Boo-Hoo!

My ultimate goal is not necessarily the highest mpg but to make my trucks more efficient configured as I need them.

Old Reliable '86 Ford F-250HD 4x4, 6.9L diesel

Red '00 Honda Accord Coupe, 3.0L V6, automatic

The Plugger '05 Ford F-150HD 4x4, Regular Cab, 8-ft bed, 8,200# GVW, 5.4L V8, automatic, 4.10:1 ratios, 285/70R-17D tires

Reply  Post New Thread