View Single Post
Old 06-15-2024, 05:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,719 Posts
I think that if I had technology sufficiently advanced to be indistinguishable from magic, I would have plans and schemes other than camping, but honestly, giving myself a 4-day work week every week so I could camp regularly would be pretty sweet.

If the teardrop trailer were 8' tall, the total length being 21'1".

That doesn't sound terrible, but how on Earth would you fabricate it?

Maybe if you are an eccentric millionaire.

I focus on foam because 2" of it is r13.

Again, when comparing trailers, everything depends, so how do you compare them?

What you can get for $25,000 seems bizarre, but I can't think of a better comparison.

I don't know how long that A-frame pop-up is, but the entire roof and sides are rigid.

I kept reading that they were stronger than tents, which didn't make sense, and you could get a vastly larger Army surplus tent, which I am sure would be stronger, but maybe the A-frame popup would be tougher.

I don't have any idea.

Well, for a box trailer, I found this 8.5×28 enclosed trailer for $24,430.

The back drops down like a cargo plane and the Knight Foundation semi, so one with 4 walls should be a little cheaper.

I guess that it isn't fair to compare a bare trailer to a finished popup, but I don't have any idea how to calculate that.

The popup I shared before is here in Mesa, but searching for $25,000 popup, this was the next site that I found: https://www.mwrvcenter.com/inventory...V-Trec-V4-7819

That is the most expensive one.

It claims the retail price is $35,163, but you won't pay that, no Sir, not you!
You won't even pay $24,975!
Oh boy! You can have it for the low low price of [enters temp e-mail address and fake contact information] $23,975!

This looks like it is supposed to pop up, but you just have the back end pop up so you can enter it normally and stand in the very back?

It has its own porch with railing?

I can't imagine buying the A-frame, but it actually makes sense to me.

I don't want to constantly explain that it doesn't do anything, it is for kids, while the adults camp on the porch.

By the way, it had one of those popups pop up when I was trying to look at a popup claiming that you could get $500 off any vehicle, but I couldn't figure out how to type or paste into any of the fields.

Autofill worked, not that I wanted to give any real information!

Comments from that Imgur post:
"It's better than a tent and cheaper than rent."
"It's not intended to be lived in."
"1. get to sleep on a mattress 2. Many have a small kitchen, i.e., sink and maybe a 3 burner stove. 2. Places to sit."
1. 2. 2.
Hmmm...

Are those mattresses any better than this?

There should be adequate room for a couple rolled-up mattresses, a tent, sleeping bags, a 3-burner stove, inside your brand-new genuine patented freebeard toilet coffin!™

I am sure that you can make room for one of these:

4-Person Green Plastic Portable Compact Folding Suitcase Picnic Table Set with Umbrella Hole and Simple Setup

I am positive the padded benches in the $25,000 popup are more comfortable than the $59 picnic bench, but $25,000 vs $59!

Would you rather be in an Army surplus tent or a popup in a thunderstorm?

"It’s a cabin tent that you can tow with a sedan. Lighten up, Francis."

Not helpful.

The special Internet price for the cheapest one on that site $6,475, it is 18' long, and weighs 1,601 pounds, while my Camry is only rated for 1,600.

"So you can tow them with something that doesn't cost $85k."
They compare it to a 5th wheel?!

"It's solid so it's far more capable of withstanding thunderstorms & winds, you can haul your usual carload of stuff PLUS anything else you want to have with you like your kids bikes, etc., & they're effn huge inside compared to a tent. I dunno about A/C but okay I guess, you pay extra for the fuel you use. We had a real simple one when I was a kid, no power just a 3'x3'x6' icebox, & just having it up off the ground when a big storm rolls in & drenches everything in 4" of rainfall is pretty huge."

The A frame is more solid than an Army surplus tent, but the last one is only solid when folded.

The material just looks like a tent, which wouldn't hold up.

You can buy an Army surplus tent for about the cost of that popup, so they are comparing a tent that costs a fraction as much as the popup, which is ridiculous.

"For 8 years my dad towed one to 48 states, two worlds fairs and 4 provinces. They allowed a working class family to see the world."
He couldn't have done that with a wagon and a tent?

"Off the ground is warmer & safer & more comfortable. Can haul way more since it's a trailer, like loads of food and maybe firewood and stuff. Stronger than a tent."
If you have a pickup, you can build a platform and put it down wherever to be off the ground.

"[P]op-ups aren’t intended for off-grid camping, they’re intended for campgrounds where power/water are readily available." "Popups remove the worst aspects of tent camping while not making you feel like you’re in a traveling hotel the way big trailers and RV’s do. [...A] pop is the happy medium for me for comfortable family camping at established parks and campgrounds without spending $200k on a second home with wheels."

How much camping would you need to do to pay for the cost of a trailer and gas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230225090927.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	34772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp mattress.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	34773   Click image for larger version

Name:	E12r81HXIAAkhne.jpg
Views:	3