Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2024, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,712 Posts
freebeard-inspired hitch-mounted cargo outhouse

My mind wanders its own random paths, but my wife needed emergency surgery yesterday, so I have been with her as much as possible, and I have never been able to focus on important things if another important thing needs to be done first.

Grad school finals, finding a new house, cleaning and clearing out Mom's house so I can sell it, etc.

We just got a contract on a house near my wife's work yesterday and I passed my first year, but I can't focus on anything important besides my wife getting better.

She will be fine, but while she is in the hospital, I can't focus on moving, Mom's house, etc.

Since I have almost exclusively needed to pack Mom's horde by myself and I was always unreasonably optimistic about what I could pack and load in a weekend, I have spent enough on rentals to buy an old truck, van, box truck, etc., and when I mentioned this to my wife, she asked if we could convert it into a camper afterward.

YouTube keeps recommending people building campers, camping trailers, etc, and I love watching people build things.

I just skimmed the 240 posts here (Class a motorhomes aerodynamics) and happened to find more salient information from this gentleman who doesn't capitalize his name:

than this one.

I want to deep-dive into the different types of trailers and the pros and cons of each when I have the chance (and a mouse), but let me just share some things that stood out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Downforce burns fuel. Lift also burns fuel.
I don't know that we need to worry about downforce or lift with trailers, but if I were to build one, I would want to make one like this, which took too long just to stitch together:

I have seen people make "Teardrop" trailers, but we established 10-15 years ago that most people don't have any idea what is aerodynamic (hence freebeard's quote), but let's say that I take two 2" foam boards, cut them to that shape, screw dozens of 2x2s between them, and fold layers of thin foamboard, glued together, around them until I have a 2" thick aerodynamic foam shape--as long as I only think in two dimensions.

Would focusing on the sides with a flat top and bottom be more effective?

This would undoubtedly be better and easier to fabricate than anything else:

YouTube randomly suggested the second video and I keep meaning to see if we dissected it, but while it looked much better than the first one, he received much worse results:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You'd be going down the same road as with the 'THINK FLIGHT' Subaru Imprezza experiment. He got the Subie from Cd 0.29, down below Cd 0.18.
Side gust sensitivity would be an unknown quantity, so you'd want to start out with conservative driving speeds until your confidence builds up.
Modern accelerometer sensor technology, software, and actuators would be capable of deploying aerodynamic countermeasures nearly instantly, to compensate for yaw-moments; however, that's beyond my expertise.
I have read many pros and cons of different types of trailers, campers, etc., and the thing is, it always depends.

"This is better than that"--it depends!

There is a post on Imgur asking why pop-up trailers exist and Internet strangers were not kind, but this one of indeterminate weight is going for $25,000: Ranger 12 Sofa Bed For Sale

Do you have any idea what kind of tent you can buy for $25,000?!

I don't!

Alaska Structure Air Force Shelter (Version 2) complete with framed floor system, hard door, original harding box, and liner for $10,860.

That is 20' W x 32.5' L x 10' H at peak and can be erected in less than 30 minutes with the help of 4 adults, so definitely more difficult than a pop-up camper, but this has more square footage than a pickup and pop-up trailer would need!

I like different ideas, but most of the time, I think that a good tent and camping gear, which would fit in my trunk, are better than a camping trailer.

I really like bathrooms, though, and if it happens to be cold, I would vastly prefer somewhere insulated to go to the bathroom, change, shower, etc.

I had been wondering about pop-outception, but since I keep thinking that a tent makes more sense than trailers for many situations, I just want an insulated bathroom, I wondered about nested fiberglass and foam boxes that you separate, latch together the other way, and install a solar shower on top.

Or you could just have a 7' foam and fiberglass cargo trailer with a camping toilet.

You remove the toilet, tent, sleeping bags, and everything else that goes in the tent, set up the tent, but the pads, bags, and everything else in the tent, flip the trailer, put the toilet back in, and remove it to change clothes, shower, etc.

Hmm...

He specified corrugated metal, but how about fiberglass and foamboard?

Okay, but for smaller trailers, isn't it more efficient to have a cargo box than a trailer?

Unless you mount this to a truck of van, it would be wider than the vehicle, and I don't think that an aerodynamic base would make a very good base at all.

Can you make sense of my even-more-distracted ramblings?!

I will try to edit this later, I just wanted to put this together, but I was supposed to leave to help Mom and my brother an hour ago.

How did it take an hour to put together this mess?!

My browser is being slow...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teardrop.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	34769   Click image for larger version

Name:	user28165_pic6452_1413441105.jpg
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	34770  
Attached Images

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2024, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,677 Times in 7,152 Posts
I know foamies are popular, but don't forget about stitch-and-glue [CNC-cut] plywood.

www.instructables.com/Stitch-and-Glue-Boat-Construction/

Plywood still needs a fiberglass coating. Polymetal is prefinished. Stitch-and-glue Polymetal may be feasible.

Thanks for considering those trailer designs. They could be combined. The tilter was originally an ice fishing hut design. It could be a single seater/shower; the proportion would be taller instead of wider.

Quote:
I have read many pros and cons of different types of trailers, campers, etc., and the thing is, it always depends.
....on the tow vehicle. Start there. For sake of completeness:

Triangular wings fold out to make an hexagon platform. It would be twice the vehicle width or 15ft.

A teardrop with a Model T touring style top and front kitchen.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,415 Times in 3,387 Posts
When my wife and I go camping, and we see an RV, she remarks "that's what we forgot, our house".

People that want to camp in nature should bring a tent. People that want a house should stay home or rent a hotel.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 02:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Do you see how the top bows collapse together and fold, and a third of the platform swings up and over with the hatch? The sides could be bug screens.

House? Tent? I want a UFO.

Old 06-15-2024, 05:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not Doug

I think that if I had technology sufficiently advanced to be indistinguishable from magic, I would have plans and schemes other than camping, but honestly, giving myself a 4-day work week every week so I could camp regularly would be pretty sweet.

If the teardrop trailer were 8' tall, the total length being 21'1".

That doesn't sound terrible, but how on Earth would you fabricate it?

Maybe if you are an eccentric millionaire.

I focus on foam because 2" of it is r13.

Again, when comparing trailers, everything depends, so how do you compare them?

What you can get for $25,000 seems bizarre, but I can't think of a better comparison.

I don't know how long that A-frame pop-up is, but the entire roof and sides are rigid.

I kept reading that they were stronger than tents, which didn't make sense, and you could get a vastly larger Army surplus tent, which I am sure would be stronger, but maybe the A-frame popup would be tougher.

I don't have any idea.

Well, for a box trailer, I found this 8.5×28 enclosed trailer for $24,430.

The back drops down like a cargo plane and the Knight Foundation semi, so one with 4 walls should be a little cheaper.

I guess that it isn't fair to compare a bare trailer to a finished popup, but I don't have any idea how to calculate that.

The popup I shared before is here in Mesa, but searching for $25,000 popup, this was the next site that I found: https://www.mwrvcenter.com/inventory...V-Trec-V4-7819

That is the most expensive one.

It claims the retail price is $35,163, but you won't pay that, no Sir, not you!
You won't even pay $24,975!
Oh boy! You can have it for the low low price of [enters temp e-mail address and fake contact information] $23,975!

This looks like it is supposed to pop up, but you just have the back end pop up so you can enter it normally and stand in the very back?

It has its own porch with railing?

I can't imagine buying the A-frame, but it actually makes sense to me.

I don't want to constantly explain that it doesn't do anything, it is for kids, while the adults camp on the porch.

By the way, it had one of those popups pop up when I was trying to look at a popup claiming that you could get $500 off any vehicle, but I couldn't figure out how to type or paste into any of the fields.

Autofill worked, not that I wanted to give any real information!

Comments from that Imgur post:
"It's better than a tent and cheaper than rent."
"It's not intended to be lived in."
"1. get to sleep on a mattress 2. Many have a small kitchen, i.e., sink and maybe a 3 burner stove. 2. Places to sit."
1. 2. 2.
Hmmm...

Are those mattresses any better than this?

There should be adequate room for a couple rolled-up mattresses, a tent, sleeping bags, a 3-burner stove, inside your brand-new genuine patented freebeard toilet coffin!™

I am sure that you can make room for one of these:

4-Person Green Plastic Portable Compact Folding Suitcase Picnic Table Set with Umbrella Hole and Simple Setup

I am positive the padded benches in the $25,000 popup are more comfortable than the $59 picnic bench, but $25,000 vs $59!

Would you rather be in an Army surplus tent or a popup in a thunderstorm?

"It’s a cabin tent that you can tow with a sedan. Lighten up, Francis."

Not helpful.

The special Internet price for the cheapest one on that site $6,475, it is 18' long, and weighs 1,601 pounds, while my Camry is only rated for 1,600.

"So you can tow them with something that doesn't cost $85k."
They compare it to a 5th wheel?!

"It's solid so it's far more capable of withstanding thunderstorms & winds, you can haul your usual carload of stuff PLUS anything else you want to have with you like your kids bikes, etc., & they're effn huge inside compared to a tent. I dunno about A/C but okay I guess, you pay extra for the fuel you use. We had a real simple one when I was a kid, no power just a 3'x3'x6' icebox, & just having it up off the ground when a big storm rolls in & drenches everything in 4" of rainfall is pretty huge."

The A frame is more solid than an Army surplus tent, but the last one is only solid when folded.

The material just looks like a tent, which wouldn't hold up.

You can buy an Army surplus tent for about the cost of that popup, so they are comparing a tent that costs a fraction as much as the popup, which is ridiculous.

"For 8 years my dad towed one to 48 states, two worlds fairs and 4 provinces. They allowed a working class family to see the world."
He couldn't have done that with a wagon and a tent?

"Off the ground is warmer & safer & more comfortable. Can haul way more since it's a trailer, like loads of food and maybe firewood and stuff. Stronger than a tent."
If you have a pickup, you can build a platform and put it down wherever to be off the ground.

"[P]op-ups aren’t intended for off-grid camping, they’re intended for campgrounds where power/water are readily available." "Popups remove the worst aspects of tent camping while not making you feel like you’re in a traveling hotel the way big trailers and RV’s do. [...A] pop is the happy medium for me for comfortable family camping at established parks and campgrounds without spending $200k on a second home with wheels."

How much camping would you need to do to pay for the cost of a trailer and gas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230225090927.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	34772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp mattress.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	34773   Click image for larger version

Name:	E12r81HXIAAkhne.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	34774   Click image for larger version

Name:	outsunny-picnic-tables-01-0402-64.0_max.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	34775  
Old 06-15-2024, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,130 Times in 996 Posts
Might I suggest a Burro, Casita, or Scamp? All about 11 to 17 ft long, burros being about 1100lbs and Casitas being 2000 ish. My casita improves my trucks mileage by a couple of mpg on the long hitch. IIRC, you're tallish, so all of these require to scrunch up a bit in the sleeping configuration unless you mod it for the tall person.
You can score a burro or scamp for a couple hundred, sometimes

The pointy roof popups don't have much headroom except in the center, they really need a gable over the bed, have seen them with a gable over the toilet, which I think is mandatory

Neighbor across the street aquired a hard sided popup since he likes camping(?) In bear country and the rangers won't allow tents.
Old 06-15-2024, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Plus which you wouldn't have to drop my name handle everywhere you go.

Old 06-15-2024, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Doug

The freebeard Memorial Outhouse! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Might I suggest a Burro, Casita, or Scamp? All about 11 to 17 ft long, burros being about 1100lbs and Casitas being 2000 ish. My casita improves my trucks mileage by a couple of mpg on the long hitch. IIRC, you're tallish, so all of these require to scrunch up a bit in the sleeping configuration unless you mod it for the tall person.
You can score a burro or scamp for a couple hundred, sometimes

The pointy roof popups don't have much headroom except in the center, they really need a gable over the bed, have seen them with a gable over the toilet, which I think is mandatory

Neighbor across the street aquired a hard sided popup since he likes camping(?) In bear country and the rangers won't allow tents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Plus which you wouldn't have to drop my name handle everywhere you go.
Since freebeard said there is risk of Facebook Marketplace breaking his fingers, I went to see what is available:
Quote:
Pending · 1995 Coleman Pop Up Camper
$1,000
Listed a day in Queen Creek, AZ
Details
Condition
Used - Good
Sleeps 7. Clean. Brand new wheels and tires. Tows great, even behind a minivan. Pops up/down smoothly. Clean title in hand. Canvas is intact but the liner inside is flaking off in spots. Power runs interior lights and outlets. Includes owner's manual.

We've owned and used it for the past 10+ years, but largely as a big tent to keep rain and critters out. We haven't used the water pump/sink, the heater or the gas stove. Can't guarantee that they all work.

- Selling "As Is."
- $1,000 Firm
- Will sell to first to put cash in hand
- Cross Streets Crismon and Ocotillo in Queen Creek

1995 Coleman Williamsburg
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...69101478246391

Why wouldn't I want a complicated tent I can't tow with a sedan when it is over 110°?!

[I would have been tempted before we finally got a rental contract, but I am positive that I would have found something with hard sides and AC, or at least somewhere I could install one]
Quote:
2008 Chevrolet impala SS Sedan 4D
$900
3 days ago in Phoenix, AZ
About this vehicle
Driven 180,000 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Black
Fuel type: Gasoline
16.0 MPG city · 24.0 MPG highway · 19.0 MPG combined
Seller's description
Transmission slips is still drivable though Car has some cosmetic issues, but still runs and drives transmission and engine fluid should be changed sold as is looking for a cash buyer
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...74204259806634

I could gut it and convert it into a camper!
Quote:
2000 Honda civic EX Coupe 2D
$1,200
Listed a week ago in Queen Creek, AZ
About this vehicle
Driven 162,000 miles
Manual transmission
Exterior color: Silver · Interior color: Grey
22.0 MPG city · 29.0 MPG highway · 25.0 MPG combined
This vehicle is paid off
Clean title
This vehicle has no significant damage or problems.

Seller's description
Selling as a project. It’s a no crank no start so you’ll likely need to take it home with a trailer or tow. I narrowed the reason for it not starting down to its spark/electronics but don’t really have the time or tools to dig in. It has 162k on the engine and frame. 5 speed manual. Clean title. Open to offers
Could I get this running faster than one of my current Civic coupes?!

Maybe! Those are in Show Low!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...75612257184298

In theory, I could gut it, and convert it into a trailer I could tow with a sedan, but that seems like a waste.

Hopefully, it enjoys a better fate.

It only has 162,000 miles!

This one is interesting:
Quote:
3 Beds 2 Baths - House
$1,395 / Month
Rentals
3451 W Baylor Ln, Chandler, AZ
Dog and cat friendly
Listed about a day ago · Available now
Unit Details
House
3 beds · 2 baths
Central AC
Central heating
In-unit laundry
Garage parking
Unfurnished
1 Year Lease
Rental Location
Chandler, AZ, 85226
Description
Lovely ❤️single family home for rent .A Beautiful 3bed 2bath home for rent in a quiet neighbourhood . The house has a garage and has a private entrance, A newly remodeled kitchen, and a free laundry facility in the garage. All utilities are included. The house is cable/internet ready, but you’ll need to provide the service on your own and also a private place the time period for the lease is flexible, whatever suit you well as you can see in the pictures of my apartment is finished to high standard.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...83555070551527

Was I supposed to look for rentals on Facebook?!

I'm guessing not since I searched for the address and found this listing for $2,210 with a watermark on the picture of the front of the house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../8263735_zpid/
Quote:
2003 Toyota camry XLE Sedan 4D
$2,400
Listed 4 days ago in Mesa, AZ
About this vehicle
Driven 250,000 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Blue · Interior color: Grey
18.0 MPG city · 26.0 MPG highway · 21.0 MPG combined
Seller's description
Se maneja bien el carro esta en buenas condiciones
I won't be satisfied until I have 7 rides for one brother?!

There are some odds and ends I want to replace on Mom's car and I need to replace a door on Mom's because I backed into it with a Uhaul.

I guess that I needed to park on the street and help my brother chase my wife's cat.

It's the wrong blue, though!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...11933626533219
Quote:
2004 Saab 93 aero
$1,700
Listed a day ago in Phoenix, AZ
About this vehicle
Driven 140,000 miles
Manual transmission
Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Off_white
Fair condition
Clean title

Seller's description
I am the second owner. The car was driven mostly in Wyoming. I drove this car from Wyoming to Phoenix on March, 2024. This is nice car for someone interested in a project car. it's 6 speed manual and runs pretty fast. The spark plug in Cylinder 1 blew off. Therefore, we had to rethread the spark plug hole and install new spark plug and an O2 sensor. The A/C stopped working and I don't have time to fix what's wrong right now. I bought a new car because my wife can't drive manual shift. Therefore, I am selling this because I don't want to keep paying insurance and a parking spot. This runs well. But if you don't have any sense in mechanical know how this is not the car for you. Genuine inquiries only. message me for more information. The car is in fair condition and it is reflected in the price.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...29489471527703

I have enough of a sense in mechanical know how to gut this and convert it into a camper!

I thought "Okay! Focus!" and saw that I had several more tabs open!
Quote:
2012 Chevrolet traverse
$1,200
Listed 2 days ago in Phoenix, AZ
About this vehicle
Driven 130,000 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: White · Interior color:
Clean title

Seller's description
OJO EL CARRO TIENE EL MOTOR AMARRADO, le sirve el aire tiene las 4 llantas nuevas ,carrocería ni un golpe y el interior está en muy buen estado
Eye, marred engine.

A Traverse sounds it was specifically designed to not move under its own power, but I am going to argue that pulling it with a sedan is right out, even though it doesn't have 3 rows, and if I am going to gut a Traverse and convert it into a camper, I want one with 3 rows like my sister owned!

2001 Saturn l-series L200 Sedan 4D $1,600 Working Ac. Works great. New tires. Only 2 owners.

1972 Plymouth scamp $1 Listed 11 weeks ago11 weeks ago in Buckeye, AZ
Quote:
2021 Scamp layout 2
$22,500
Listed 9 weeks ago9 weeks ago in Mesa, AZ
About this vehicle
Exterior color: White · Interior color:
Seller's description
2021 Scamp Layout 2

13' layout 2 (with toilet and shower) Scamp in practically new condition. This great little camper has all the bells and whistles-ac, furnace, TV antenna and mounted TV, glass covered 2 burner stove, electric brakes,2 propane tanks, new battery, new water pump for boondocking and many more. Dry weight about 1500 lbs. (this includes all added features) and toes very easily with our Subaru Outback. Park your camper and your vehicle is free to take you sightseeing, dining, whatever!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...43488432931397

If I ever owned another Subaru, I would want to gut it and convert it into a camper!

1993 SCAMP travel trailer $10,000 Listed 12 weeks ago in Safford, AZ
Safford is 4 hours away, though a canyon, and the seller likely sold, but was too lazy to remove the ad: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...80827759016713
Quote:
1985 5th wheel Scamp
$10,000
Listed 2 weeks ago in Phoenix, AZ
Details
Condition
Used - Good
Brand
Scamp
This scamp is so fun and cute! I’ll post more pictures soon. It is built out with birch plywood, propane stove. Needs some finishing but is a great little camper.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...76422607913092
Quote:
Plymouth valiant scamp
$3,500$4,000
Listed 10 weeks ago10 weeks ago in Tucson, AZ
Details
Condition
Used - Fair
1974 Plymouth valiant scamp all original , has a dismantled title , once running and driving it only needs a level 3 inspection at the paloverde mvd station to get a clean title
If the Scamp has the 5.2 v8, it has 230 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.

I read about "Fast" cars from that time that only had 100-150 HP.
Quote:
2017 Scamp 13’ with shower/toilet
$18,000
Listed 5 days ago in San Diego, CA
About this vehicle
Exterior color: White · Interior color: Brown
2 owners
Seller's description
Everything works, no leaks. There are a few spider gel coat cracks above the door, no frame damage, no axle issues. Non smoking. There is a cracked AC plastic cover, $120 to replace. A trailer with the same options will cost around $26k new.
Clean CA title, permanent trailer plates.

W: 6’8”
L: 13’
H: 7’6”
Interior L: 10’
Interior H: 6’3”
Dry Weight 1800 lbs
44" bed
Suburban 6-gal LP gas water heater
LP Gas furnace 19,000 BTU
3-way Dometic fridge
Two burner lp-gas stove
Dometic 13,500 btu A/C
Grey/black/Fresh water holding tanks.
8ft Fiamma awning

Previous owner in Nov 2023:
-Bearing re-pack / Brake adjusted
-Led interior lights
-Serviced/cleaned 6-gal water heater.
-Checked all plumbing pipes, holding tanks, release valves, water lines/connections
-A/C duct cleaned/new filters
-New Rv 12v battery.
-Replaced all snaps caps and resealed.
-Replaced 12v shower pump and new water filer.
-3 New 13" trailer tires.
-Replaced all Scamp exterior decals with new ones.
-New tongue jack
I could persuade my wife to return to San Diego!
Quote:
2004 Ford expedition XLT Sport Utility 4D
$950
Listed a week ago in Mesa, AZ
About this vehicle
Driven 235,000 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Grey · Interior color: Grey
12.0 MPG city · 16.0 MPG highway · 14.0 MPG combined
Seller's description
I have a 2004 Ford expedition!

have a Ford expedition that is in good condition, tires are gently used and barely replaced a few months, minor repairs need to be made. Still runs. I had the alternator , fuel pump, starter and battery all replaced. All new hoses, update to on oil changes. Emissions is good still. No AC, drivers side window needs a window regulator and that's about it. This truck is a good truck and never left me stranded. Title loan on it $1,200 obo
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...79414086056034

How much is the title loan?!

Searching for "Burro" didn't show anything relevant, just random trailers when I added "Trailer."
Quote:
Pending · 2008 Dodge Caravan
$1,250$1,500
Listed 3 days ago in Mesa, AZ
Public meetup
Details
Condition
Used - Fair
Hole in radiator, it will drive but must keep coolant on hand in case it overheats!
198,711 miles, $1,250 or best offer
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...03386237429603

2008 Nissan rogue $1,200 without description
Quote:
2010 Subaru impreza Outback Sport Wagon 4D
$1,650
Listed a day ago in Phoenix, AZ
About this vehicle
Driven 136,000 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Black
20.0 MPG city · 26.0 MPG highway · 22.0 MPG combined
Seller's description
3301 e Vanburen st Phoenix az 85008
Se HABLA ESPAÑOL

NEED A BODY WORK , RUNS AND DRIVE FINE
From the tiny picture, it just looks like it needs a bumper, but wasn't that the last year of the bad engine?! https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...46728122763293
Quote:
2013 Toyota yaris L Hatchback 2D
$1,000
Listed 9 weeks ago in Peoria, AZ
About this vehicle
Driven 13,000 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Blue · Interior color:
Safety rating
30.0 MPG city · 36.0 MPG highway · 32.0 MPG combined
Seller's description
Has to be towed
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...84856359993393

Nine weeks ago, I was driving to Peoria 3 times a week, but I didn't have time for projects!
Quote:
2006 Toyota camry LE Sedan 4D
$1,200
Listed 3 days ago3 days ago in Surprise, AZ
About this vehicle
Driven 255,000 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: White · Interior color: Grey
21.0 MPG city · 31.0 MPG highway · 25.0 MPG combined
2 owners
This vehicle is paid off
Clean title

Seller's description
So the car has a clean title has brand new tires. It has a brand new battery. It has a brand new valve gasket cover and everything is normal Wear and tear on the car. It either has a transmission or an engine problem being sold as is please let me know. 1,200$ or best offer needs to be towed doesn’t drive
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...49838722305934
Let me guess, if I tow it to a transmission shop, they will say it needs a transmission rebuild.
If I tow it to an engine shop, they will say it needs an engine rebuild.

Meanwhile, the other Camry allegedly has a functioning engine and transmission for $2,400.

2005 Toyota camry LE Sedan 4D $2,700 Listed 3 weeks ago3 weeks ago in Tempe, AZ
Quote:
2011 Little Guy five wide
$6,000
Listed a day agoa day ago in Phoenix, AZ
About this vehicle
Exterior color: Off_white · Interior color: Off_white
Seller's description
Little guy five wide. Great reputation for solidly built campers. Garage kept. Good tires, new battery, propane stove, ceiling fan, water tank and sink.Only 900 lbs dry weight so small enough to be towed by a passenger vehicle. Ready to go camping now!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...93729520393810

Hopefully, I could actually tow that with my sedan, and if I had something like this, I could have put a few extra boxes in it, and slept in Mom's driveway--but I would rather buy a cargo box and sleep at the hotel.
Quote:
2012 Casita freedom deluxe 17ft
$16,500
Listed a day ago in Surprise, AZ
About this vehicle
Exterior color: White · Interior color: Tan
Seller's description
2012 Casita freedom deluxe 17-foot trailer
Like new well cared for travel trailer with very little use. Original owners, non smokers. ac toilet and shower and nice wardrobe cabinet in the front.
Lots of storage cabinets throughout.
Dry weight of trailer is about 2150 lbs
Air Conditioner with Themostatically Controlled Heatstrip
12,000 BTU Furnace
Microwave two burner stove
4.6 Cubic Foot Refrigerator - 3-way operation (Propane, 12 Volt,
120 Volt AC)
6-Gallon Water Heater with Direct Spark Ignition - 2-way operation (Propane, 120 Volt AC) roll up awning
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...42048102089448
Old 06-15-2024, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not Doug

The very last one sounds like the best--more than some, but it was posted yesterday, not weeks ago in distant lands.
Surprise may be an hour away, but that is still much closer than Safford or San Diego.

Would I notice an improvement if I moved the AC to the front?

How about this treatment with a locking cargo box and the spare tire, brake lights, and license plate relocated?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	448428859_10226831231629065_2523770866429342307_n.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	34777   Click image for larger version

Name:	user28165_pic8752_1598990712.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	34778  
Old 06-15-2024, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Not Doug

The freebeard weight-loss institute! :D

I swear that I was getting off of the computer to go and be productive! Really!

I was closing tabs when I saw "Don’t Fall For Aerodynamic Junk Science When Shopping For Trailers (Especially For Your EV)" by Jennifer Sensiba.

I thought it was a pretty good read, as much as I could understand it in the hospital with my wife, not having slept well the night before, but this is Google's summary:
Quote:
This article argues that fuel efficiency is a major consideration when choosing a travel trailer, especially for electric vehicles (EVs). Many trailers marketed as aerodynamic are misleading and prioritize aesthetics over actual efficiency.

Here are key points:

Aerodynamics are more important than weight: While a lighter trailer is better, focusing solely on weight is less critical than good aerodynamic design.
Trailer weight doesn't significantly impact fuel consumption unless the trailer is very heavy or the route involves steep inclines.
Teardrop trailers exemplify good and bad design: The classic teardrop shape with a blunt front, curved body, and tapered tail minimizes drag. However, some "teardrop" trailers sacrifice this teardrop shape for more living space, hurting fuel efficiency.
Trailer maintenance is crucial: Proper tire inflation, bearing lubrication, and other maintenance ensure optimal efficiency regardless of the trailer design.
The article advises against falling for gimmicks and emphasizes understanding aerodynamics to choose a truly efficient trailer that saves fuel and reduces your environmental impact.
https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/09...y-for-your-ev/
Quote:
This article dives deeper into optimizing the aerodynamics of larger trailers for electric vehicles (EVs) and avoiding misleading "faux-aero" designs.

Key points:

Balance size and shape: A teardrop shape is most aerodynamic, but size also matters. A larger teardrop will have more drag than a smaller one. The goal is to find a balance between efficiency and usable space.
Kammback design for trailers: Similar to cars, a Kammback design with an abrupt tail truncation helps minimize the drag-inducing vacuum zone behind the trailer.
Minimizing frontal area: Smaller trailers have less drag, but this reduces usable space. Pop-up campers offer a compromise with a smaller folded size that expands for use.
Gimmicks to avoid:
Rounded brick shapes: Don't be fooled by rounded corners on boxy trailers. They offer minimal aerodynamic benefit.
Fake teardrop designs: Trailers vaguely resembling teardrops but lacking proper engineering for airflow create drag.
Bullet-shaped designs: These prioritize aesthetics over function, neglecting the crucial rear vacuum zone.
Overly large pop-up campers: While smaller than a full-sized trailer when folded, excessively large pop-ups can be heavy and negate their efficiency advantage.
The article emphasizes informing consumers to combat these misleading designs and avoid hindering the reputation of electric tow vehicles.
The article suggests pop-up campers can be further improved for aerodynamics, and mentions consulting Ecomodder for DIY modifications if you're handy with tools.
https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/09...ailers-part-2/