View Single Post
Old 06-15-2024, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,719 Posts
The freebeard weight-loss institute! :D

I swear that I was getting off of the computer to go and be productive! Really!

I was closing tabs when I saw "Don’t Fall For Aerodynamic Junk Science When Shopping For Trailers (Especially For Your EV)" by Jennifer Sensiba.

I thought it was a pretty good read, as much as I could understand it in the hospital with my wife, not having slept well the night before, but this is Google's summary:
Quote:
This article argues that fuel efficiency is a major consideration when choosing a travel trailer, especially for electric vehicles (EVs). Many trailers marketed as aerodynamic are misleading and prioritize aesthetics over actual efficiency.

Here are key points:

Aerodynamics are more important than weight: While a lighter trailer is better, focusing solely on weight is less critical than good aerodynamic design.
Trailer weight doesn't significantly impact fuel consumption unless the trailer is very heavy or the route involves steep inclines.
Teardrop trailers exemplify good and bad design: The classic teardrop shape with a blunt front, curved body, and tapered tail minimizes drag. However, some "teardrop" trailers sacrifice this teardrop shape for more living space, hurting fuel efficiency.
Trailer maintenance is crucial: Proper tire inflation, bearing lubrication, and other maintenance ensure optimal efficiency regardless of the trailer design.
The article advises against falling for gimmicks and emphasizes understanding aerodynamics to choose a truly efficient trailer that saves fuel and reduces your environmental impact.
https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/09...y-for-your-ev/
Quote:
This article dives deeper into optimizing the aerodynamics of larger trailers for electric vehicles (EVs) and avoiding misleading "faux-aero" designs.

Key points:

Balance size and shape: A teardrop shape is most aerodynamic, but size also matters. A larger teardrop will have more drag than a smaller one. The goal is to find a balance between efficiency and usable space.
Kammback design for trailers: Similar to cars, a Kammback design with an abrupt tail truncation helps minimize the drag-inducing vacuum zone behind the trailer.
Minimizing frontal area: Smaller trailers have less drag, but this reduces usable space. Pop-up campers offer a compromise with a smaller folded size that expands for use.
Gimmicks to avoid:
Rounded brick shapes: Don't be fooled by rounded corners on boxy trailers. They offer minimal aerodynamic benefit.
Fake teardrop designs: Trailers vaguely resembling teardrops but lacking proper engineering for airflow create drag.
Bullet-shaped designs: These prioritize aesthetics over function, neglecting the crucial rear vacuum zone.
Overly large pop-up campers: While smaller than a full-sized trailer when folded, excessively large pop-ups can be heavy and negate their efficiency advantage.
The article emphasizes informing consumers to combat these misleading designs and avoid hindering the reputation of electric tow vehicles.
The article suggests pop-up campers can be further improved for aerodynamics, and mentions consulting Ecomodder for DIY modifications if you're handy with tools.
https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/09...ailers-part-2/