View Single Post
Old 06-27-2024, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,256 Times in 4,676 Posts
' horses '

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
No, because we're primarily wired as social creatures, with a subordinate ability to understand physics. The reason society kills the scientists and philosophers is because they dared mention that facts don't care about your feelings.

We would have to find the genes responsible for taking an interest in how things work, probably at the expense of having an interest in social norms and roles, and genetically engineer humans with a disposition towards those attributes. Probably a recipe for disaster, as time has selected humans to generally be interested in social networks over comprehending the nature of reality.

The imagery I think would be helpful is to show how many horses (horsepower) it takes to maintain 75 MPH for any given vehicle. Just draw each vehicle as a chariot, with the equivalent number of horses needed pulling it along.

Maybe portray the battery capacity as an equivalent number of bushels of hay needed to feed the horses.

... my wife once left the oven door open on a winter day after baking, saying her mom taught her that trick to utilize the heat. I asked her where she thought the heat went if you don't let it out. She has a masters degree in science, and I almost failed high school.
I agree on the imagery. I looked into it decades ago, and had chosen the Arabian Mare as my benchmark horse, contacted local horse breeders, was going to use 'bales' of alfalfa and some portion of oats, and water.
Drawing became an immediate issue.
The IONIQ-5 for instance, requires 95-bhp @ it's top speed of 115-mph, 29-bhp @ 75. Those numbers simply run right off the page, even on 17-inch paper. So I gave up on the notion.
I ended up drawing colorized power curves, with rolling-resistance one color, then stacking the aero portion on top, giving Road Load, at all velocities. Find the 'intersection' of the top of the curve, with any velocity, then move directly o the side to read the accompanying horsepower.
I make 'em for AeroStealth, and he uses them on his You Tube videos. No one here can tell me how to publish them here.