Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2024, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,255 Times in 4,675 Posts
Range-related BEV aero thought experiment

Always struggling to find some mental imagery that 'the man on the street' might connect with, I ran the math for:
1) A 2024 Hyundai IONIQ 5, with three (3) different body shapes, the IONIQ 6, the 1983 GM Aero2002, and 2013, Cambridge University Eco Racer ( CUER ).
2) All four cars have the IONIQ 5's weight, tires, frontal area, motor, and battery pack.
3) All four cars are reported for a constant 75-mph, in calm, 'standard air,' on dry, level concrete highway, 100% SOC, to 0% SOC.
4)
a) The IONIQ 5 returns 262-miles ( 420-miles @ 55-mph )
b) The IONIQ 6 returns 326-miles ( 504-miles @ 55-mph )
c) The Aero 2002 ( with Tesla mirrors ) returns 429-miles ( 631-miles @ 55-mph )
d) The CUER ( with Tesla mirrors ) returns 498-miles ( 708-miles @ 55-mph )
Wonder if public education might ever mention the relationship between Cd and the power vs velocity-cubed law to graduating seniors in high school?

Last edited by aerohead; 06-26-2024 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: data correction
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (06-26-2024)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2024, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,418 Times in 3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Always struggling to find some mental imagery that 'the man on the street' might connect with...

Wonder if public education might ever mention the relationship between Cd and the power vs velocity-cubed law to graduating seniors in high school?
No, because we're primarily wired as social creatures, with a subordinate ability to understand physics. The reason society kills the scientists and philosophers is because they dared mention that facts don't care about your feelings.

We would have to find the genes responsible for taking an interest in how things work, probably at the expense of having an interest in social norms and roles, and genetically engineer humans with a disposition towards those attributes. Probably a recipe for disaster, as time has selected humans to generally be interested in social networks over comprehending the nature of reality.

The imagery I think would be helpful is to show how many horses (horsepower) it takes to maintain 75 MPH for any given vehicle. Just draw each vehicle as a chariot, with the equivalent number of horses needed pulling it along.

Maybe portray the battery capacity as an equivalent number of bushels of hay needed to feed the horses.

... my wife once left the oven door open on a winter day after baking, saying her mom taught her that trick to utilize the heat. I asked her where she thought the heat went if you don't let it out. She has a masters degree in science, and I almost failed high school.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,689 Times in 7,162 Posts
I can't find the quote, but R. B. Fuller has a comparison about cars idling at stop signs at any time is equivalent to [some large number of] horses stamping their feet and not going anywhere.

That was before stop-start and electric vehicles.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-27-2024), redpoint5 (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' horses '

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
No, because we're primarily wired as social creatures, with a subordinate ability to understand physics. The reason society kills the scientists and philosophers is because they dared mention that facts don't care about your feelings.

We would have to find the genes responsible for taking an interest in how things work, probably at the expense of having an interest in social norms and roles, and genetically engineer humans with a disposition towards those attributes. Probably a recipe for disaster, as time has selected humans to generally be interested in social networks over comprehending the nature of reality.

The imagery I think would be helpful is to show how many horses (horsepower) it takes to maintain 75 MPH for any given vehicle. Just draw each vehicle as a chariot, with the equivalent number of horses needed pulling it along.

Maybe portray the battery capacity as an equivalent number of bushels of hay needed to feed the horses.

... my wife once left the oven door open on a winter day after baking, saying her mom taught her that trick to utilize the heat. I asked her where she thought the heat went if you don't let it out. She has a masters degree in science, and I almost failed high school.
I agree on the imagery. I looked into it decades ago, and had chosen the Arabian Mare as my benchmark horse, contacted local horse breeders, was going to use 'bales' of alfalfa and some portion of oats, and water.
Drawing became an immediate issue.
The IONIQ-5 for instance, requires 95-bhp @ it's top speed of 115-mph, 29-bhp @ 75. Those numbers simply run right off the page, even on 17-inch paper. So I gave up on the notion.
I ended up drawing colorized power curves, with rolling-resistance one color, then stacking the aero portion on top, giving Road Load, at all velocities. Find the 'intersection' of the top of the curve, with any velocity, then move directly o the side to read the accompanying horsepower.
I make 'em for AeroStealth, and he uses them on his You Tube videos. No one here can tell me how to publish them here.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' stamping '

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I can't find the quote, but R. B. Fuller has a comparison about cars idling at stop signs at any time is equivalent to [some large number of] horses stamping their feet and not going anywhere.

That was before stop-start and electric vehicles.
That sounds like something Bucky would have published. He was a 'thinker' for sure!
Old 06-27-2024, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,418 Times in 3,390 Posts
I thought it would be a simple matter of having AI generate the visualization, but Bing refuses to draw what I describe, no matter how I modify the description of "12 horses pulling a Chevy Bolt". No matter what I say, it shows the car pulling the horses. This is the closest AI could get to what I described.

Here's what I get when I ask for 20 horsepower to be represented by horses

At this point, I think the visualization has to be greatly simplified, where the vehicle and horses are simple stick figures drawn horizontally such that the length is representative of a power graph.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-27-2024 at 12:41 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (Yesterday)
Old 06-27-2024, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
No one here can tell me how to publish them here.
Okay, I won't.

I've noticed the AI video hallucinations, like The A.I. Art Appreciation Channel, when the show cars they are moving backward. It's pretty consistent. People walking look implausible.

Must be a Time's Arrow thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'12-horse BOLT'

That would be good for around 53-mph. We'd need almost 30 @ 75-mph.
Cleopatra would be humiliated to know how much power is available to the average American motorist.
'Ben-Hur'
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' Channel '

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Okay, I won't.

I've noticed the AI video hallucinations, like The A.I. Art Appreciation Channel, when the show cars they are moving backward. It's pretty consistent. People walking look implausible.

Must be a Time's Arrow thing.
It's pretty fabulous! I wonder if the Screen Actor's Guild is experiencing a 'number one pucker,' ?
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'fabulous'

It makes one wonder about the place of confabulation in Simulation Theory.

Quote:
Confabulation
In psychology, confabulation is a memory error consisting of the production of fabricated, distorted, or misinterpreted memories about oneself or the world. It is generally associated with certain types of brain damage or a specific subset of dementias. While still an area of ongoing research, the basal forebrain is implicated in the phenomenon of confabulation. Wikipedia
What I find most interesting about Skyward's work is the music. Mainly instrumentals and female vocalist. Apparently from a Swedish purveyor of royalty-free sound tracks. (Epidemic Sound) With so much choice, catergorising the selections is difficult. Maybe Americana?

Reply  Post New Thread