View Single Post
Old 07-01-2024, 08:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The Chevy Bolt was going for $24k, and it had 4 wheels and is super great, and people weren't stampeding for them.
Ya, well, that's kind of my point. It seems that the majority of people have this concept that they need a tall, boxy SUV (or crossover, but everyone calls them all SUV's) or a pickup that guzzles lots of gas in order to fit into society. If you put something out there that's strays from that general concept then people won't buy it.

The Aptera is perhaps a dead concept. The Bolt, dead and if they resurrect it next year it will probably die again. A person buying a car these days has two choices, an SUV (or crossover, but don't tell the customer it's not a true SUV) or a pickup.

Sure, there are a few sedans and a couple of hatchbacks out there, but those are a dying breed. The Malibu, Versa, Mirage and and many more are on the chopping block. The Corolla is slowly becoming the Corolla Cross.

The car is basically taking the course of the cellphone. Remember when we had all those cool phones back in the late 90's and early 2000's? Now all cellphones are the same. Sure, some might be a bit faster than others, that's about it. They all have the same layout, screen on this side, camera on that side, flat like a Pop-Tart.

Phones have also lost a lot of their useful functionality and practicality. Just a few months after I got this phone (about 6 years ago) a storm came in and blew out all services except broadcast stations. Yet I couldn't tune in to the local FM stations on this phone because it's the first one I've had without FM radio. I hate this phone with all my guts, yet I don't want to trade it in if it still works. It makes phone calls, that's about all I use it for. I don't take pictures with it. I still use my 35mm film camera for that. I don't surf the web nor social media on it. Yet the new version of this phone is double what I paid, some $800.

Cars are becoming the same marshmallow on wheels that cost more than what most Americans can afford. They have lots of space, that's it. They move your junk around, and mostly use lots of fuel to move just single individuals. I don't cram my vehicle with stuff and don't need an SUV (or crossover). If I need to move furniture I pull my trailer or rent/borrow a truck. I'm getting sick of having so much stuff anyway. I'd like to reduce everything I own down to a backpack or two.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 07-01-2024 at 08:57 AM..