View Single Post
Old 07-16-2024, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
No idea where.

blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=soganjis&logNo=110140644711

How wide and thick are those spokes? Dzus fasteners are intended for sheet materials, but if you were to mill pockets in the spokes and invert the spring retainers then the only problem is how to rivet/epoxy them into each spoke pocket.
Any hole in the wheel will be an instant inspection fail, unfortunately. I need to come up with something that secures in some other way.

For example, I believe the center bore is the same size as on a Tesla, and part of the way they secure their alloy hubcaps is via the center bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
why not just get some cheap hubcaps from autozone that pop into place and then attach a flat cover to those hubcaps? thats what i plan on doing for my next car
I still run into the issue of how to secure the hub cap to the wheel, but you bring up a good point in that I can attach some intermediate item before and beneath whatever smooth cover I decide to go with. I could, for example, attach some plastic piece to the hub somehow, and then secure the smooth cover to that.

Possibly I could start with an 8 spoke hub cap that vaguely resembles the wheel shape, secure it with zip ties or similar, then use some dzuz fasteners to secure a smooth cover to that.