View Single Post
Old 07-18-2024, 10:27 AM   #37 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,732 Posts
' brakes to breathe '

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Looking for some ideas on smooth wheel covers. The pics attached show the wheels I'd like to cover, and preferably not drill into or damage, as that would likely not pass an inspecton.

The rim of the wheel is at approximately flush with the hub in the center. The spokes are convex. Anything that sits flat on the lip at the edge, will likely sit flat on the hub center as well.

One idea I've had for an aesthetic attachment point, is to use "spike" lug nuts, and remove the spike, so I have something threaded to bolt onto.

I'm uncertain what material to use. I'd like the finished product to look as professional as possible. One idea I have is to use moon discs, and drill 4 holes in a lug pattern to attach them to spiked lug nuts. I could also (instead) get a flat aluminum disc, and possibly paint it or put a Honda logo on it. A third option is some kind of clear disc, polycabonate or similar. Ideally I'd keep weight to a minimum.

For edge-to-edge fitment with no air gap, I'd need something 14.5 inches or 370mm in diameter. If I wanted something that still allowed the brakes to breathe a bit, I could reasonably go as small as 330mm or 13.0 inches.

Ideas?
You might take a look at the 1992 GM 'Ultralite' concept car. Like the Miata, it's an ICE car, with no regen, and in a worse-case-scenario, might 'need' some wheel cover 'ventilation' to protect the brakes from warpage.
GM located their 'breathing' perforations immediately adjacent to the rim.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those 'un-used' , extra four holes on the wheels, between the chamfered lug holes might give you an extra option for some 'attachment'?