View Single Post
Old 09-17-2024, 08:36 PM   #48 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,127 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
That's what I mean, sometimes folks may be far from home and unable to wait to charge at home. Not to mention older apartment complexes where parking spots don't have power outlets.
So then you charge from a public DC charger enough to get home and then charge the rest on cheap AC. Just what I did on Sunday.

If your apartment doesn't have chargers - don't buy an EV. As EV market share increases more apartment buildings will add chargers. It is already happening here in Portland and EVs are only 16% of new car sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I have already seen some folks using BEVs to drive on Uber, so they may not be able to drive back home whenever they need a charge, let alone patiently wait for a slow charge.
Yes, and that is a business decision. Uber pays more to people that drive an EV and EVs have very low running costs. Plenty of uber drivers will pay for a fast charge in the middle of the day - the chargers across from my office are full of uber drivers. Many also slow charge overnight so they start the day with 300+ miles of range to drive customers around.

Getting back to the original topic - how quickly the premium for an F-150 Lightning pays back will vary based on someone's driving and personal situations. For someone like me that can charge at home for 8 cents per kWh vs paying $3.60 for a gallon of gas the payback is pretty quick. For others it might not make sense at all.