View Single Post
Old 09-25-2024, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,586 Posts
My opinion:

I'd start with general maintenance. Jack the car up, check the wheels spin freely. Make sure the ignition and fuel system are doing what they should be.

Next, tire pressure and a partial grille block. Maybe grab one of the $5 eBay elm327 dongles and check your coolant temperatures, to determine the optimal amount of block.

Next (in terms of aero), to me, would be underbody paneling, and pulling off stuff you don't need. Whip antenna to stubby. Rear wiper not needed? Pull it. Smooth wheel covers if you can.

I'd place side mirrors and wheel skirts farther down the list. Not because they aren't effective, but because they aren't as straightforward, and they're more visible. Kamm back or boat tail farther down still, because while they have a huge impact, they can be logistically challenging. Pick the low hanging fruit first.

Next time you need a battery, consider a lighter weight alternative. Next time you need tires, see if you can find LRR ones.

Warm air intakes are good, but less important in summer than in winter. Ditto with things like block heaters.

Metaphorically speaking, look for 1600 ways to save an ounce, rather than one spot to pull 100lbs from the car. It adds up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
jakobnev (09-26-2024)