View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
SVOboy
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Non-cyclists on bikes

This is going to be a rant, but a short one, since it's late.

Today I was driving to the hospital to attend a conference on ethical treatment of subjects in human research, and when going to make a left turn at ~25 mph a girl (fellow Dartmouth student) finds it wise to bike off the sidewalk and into traffic in front of me. I swerve to the left to avoid her and become generally pissed off.

#1 it's not legal to bike on the sidewalks here unless you're a kid no matter how many other college student fools do it
#2 what kind of fool rides off the the sidewalk out into traffic when there it clearly traffic in the road? I was both in the turn lane and had my signal on for quite a distance before the turn

If I had hit her, she prolly wouldn't have been too happy, but she didn't even hit the brakes on the bike. As a cyclist, I think the treatment we get is generally unfair, but I can see where these attitudes come from. If you're going to ride on the sidewalk you should at least wait for the crosswalks, but this girl didn't even stop!

Grrrr