Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Non-cyclists on bikes

This is going to be a rant, but a short one, since it's late.

Today I was driving to the hospital to attend a conference on ethical treatment of subjects in human research, and when going to make a left turn at ~25 mph a girl (fellow Dartmouth student) finds it wise to bike off the sidewalk and into traffic in front of me. I swerve to the left to avoid her and become generally pissed off.

#1 it's not legal to bike on the sidewalks here unless you're a kid no matter how many other college student fools do it
#2 what kind of fool rides off the the sidewalk out into traffic when there it clearly traffic in the road? I was both in the turn lane and had my signal on for quite a distance before the turn

If I had hit her, she prolly wouldn't have been too happy, but she didn't even hit the brakes on the bike. As a cyclist, I think the treatment we get is generally unfair, but I can see where these attitudes come from. If you're going to ride on the sidewalk you should at least wait for the crosswalks, but this girl didn't even stop!

Grrrr

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Trying for a Darwin Award, maybe?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Hey Ben, keep in mind all bicyclists are not professionals like you are, but you're right, she was being STUPID!

Fortunately, being a bicyclist, you were naturally more alert to other bicyclists.

It's my feeling that a person should basically ride a bike the same way one rides a motorcycle or drives a car:

Keep it off the sidewalk

Use lights at night

Use turn signals (hand signals are fine, but do them!)

Be alert to all other traffic, including pedestrians and animals!

It's not a bad idea to take a bicycle safety class either! I'm sure there must be some offered through local schools, libraries, and other public places.

Cars and bikes NEED to get along!!!!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 11-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A bike safety class should be mandatory, as well as registration of bicycles to force people to take it. Unfortunately it's the only way. Also in most places Ben, all the things you listed are required by law. I do a lot of cycling while sharing the road with cars, and the only way it's going to get safer for cyclists is if all cyclists drive in a uniform manner so drivers can know what to expect from us. People driving bikes without knowledge/adherence to the law are endangering the lives of other cyclists.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Hey Ben, keep in mind all bicyclists are not professionals like you are, but you're right, she was being STUPID!

Fortunately, being a bicyclist, you were naturally more alert to other bicyclists.

It's my feeling that a person should basically ride a bike the same way one rides a motorcycle or drives a car:

Keep it off the sidewalk

Use lights at night

Use turn signals (hand signals are fine, but do them!)

Be alert to all other traffic, including pedestrians and animals!

It's not a bad idea to take a bicycle safety class either! I'm sure there must be some offered through local schools, libraries, and other public places.

Cars and bikes NEED to get along!!!!
You're right, Ben. This was my thought...I knew to pay attention to errant cyclists on sidewalks or else I might not have even seen her. If it hadn't've been me she might've gotten hit...and not even through the fault of the driver. Cyclists like to pretend like it's always the cars fault when many times it's a combination of factors, among them being that there aren't enough people following the standards and rules to make the interaction safe and predictable.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
I try to remember that anyone else at any time may do the dumbest crap ever. It keeps me on my toes and tends to blunt any negative feelings I may have about their behavior since it's, well... Expected to some extent.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

not just cyclists!

Ben, it's not just cyclists, almost the entire population seems to have become dumbed down. There is no longer COMMON SENSE, good sense certainly is not common.

This lack of judgement has coused me to quit participating in century rides. The lack of cycling ettiquette, and rules of the road just keeps it from being enjoyable. : My only hope is that there will be a 'thinning of the herd" and only those with common sense survive.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
I'll admit - while on campus, I have gone from sidewalk to road... But there's special circumstances

1. There's no cars inside my campus - there's a perimeter road that goes around the entire campus, everything else is made of large sidewalks. Bikes are allowed on the sidewalks on campus.
2. My transition is more of from side walk to bike lane, then change lanes to make a left.

I hear you though, it makes me angry when I'm riding to see someone else doing something stupid... Things like riding in the bike lane, traveling in the wrong direction. Among other things :/ At least you can tell the good cyclists apart - generally, they'll say hello or wave

Quote:
This lack of judgement has coused me to quit participating in century rides. The lack of cycling ettiquette, and rules of the road just keeps it from being enjoyable. : My only hope is that there will be a 'thinning of the herd" and only those with common sense survive.
The stupid one's breed faster :/ There's an interesting not so mainstream movie titled Idiocracy - terrible movie, but good warning.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Idiocracy is a GREAT MOVIE! Yes, it's dumb, but very funny, and actually a great commentary on modern society.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Cyclists are "supposed" to follow the same rules as cars. But they wont, and its one of those things that nobody will touch with a 10 foot pole. Its always going to be the drivers fault. Around here theyll cut across 2 lanes of highway traffic without even looking. Same with jaywalkers, theyll just walk in front of drivers without even looking, its just supposed to be a way of life here. The kids are pretty good but the adults are 10 times worse.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Reply  Post New Thread