View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
SVOboy
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Hey Ben, keep in mind all bicyclists are not professionals like you are, but you're right, she was being STUPID!

Fortunately, being a bicyclist, you were naturally more alert to other bicyclists.

It's my feeling that a person should basically ride a bike the same way one rides a motorcycle or drives a car:

Keep it off the sidewalk

Use lights at night

Use turn signals (hand signals are fine, but do them!)

Be alert to all other traffic, including pedestrians and animals!

It's not a bad idea to take a bicycle safety class either! I'm sure there must be some offered through local schools, libraries, and other public places.

Cars and bikes NEED to get along!!!!
You're right, Ben. This was my thought...I knew to pay attention to errant cyclists on sidewalks or else I might not have even seen her. If it hadn't've been me she might've gotten hit...and not even through the fault of the driver. Cyclists like to pretend like it's always the cars fault when many times it's a combination of factors, among them being that there aren't enough people following the standards and rules to make the interaction safe and predictable.