View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
One of the challenges is the weather. Lower-Canada only has frost-free days 50% of the year, so there's more of an issue of freezing my buns off in the dead of winter rather than not being able to travel long distances. In the summer, I can bike from one end of the city to the other in about an hour. That same drive would be about 20 minutes, max.

Also, how do cyclists deal with rain?
This is my biggest concern for you: cold snaps. Even at 10F, waiting 10-minutes for a bus, I recently froze my arse off. Bicyclists have to have a (potentially costly) adverse Weather kit, with multiple layers of clothing and a rain/snow-proof outer layer. I found a great coat at an outdoor supply store that lets you vent perspiration (to avoid moisture freezing), but repels precipitation. It was a bit costly, but really worth it when outdoors in the cold snow/rain for many hours. For me, I'd have to get into better shape to bike a decent distance. Goals, I s'pose...

I honestly respect your resolve. Bundle up and look for that public transit or bike route! I look forward to the result. I admit that I'm addicted to driving -- always have been. That seems like a big freedom to relinquish.

Best to you!

RH77

_
_