View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
d. duck
EcoModding Lurker

Trooper EV conversion

Hey everyone! Just found this site, looked around, and thought this is a place I should join and join in the communication, since you are all about doing what I am getting ready to do.

Let me tell you a bit about what I have and am converting.

I have a 1995 Isuzu Trooper (awesome SUV, by the way!) with nearly 300,000 miles on it. Body and running gear is in great condition, interior in great condition, you'd never guess it has 300,000 miles on it.

Anyway, the motor and tranny are getting a little weak, and, let's face it, it gets sucky gas mileage (16-17 mpg). So I am getting ready to pull the motor, have the tranny rebuilt, and convert to a gas/electric hybrid.

My plan is transplanting the engine with a large (120+ hp) electric motor/controller, driving the tranny with the back of the motor, the a/c compressor/power steering with the front of the motor, connect these to deep cycle 12v batteries, and use a small diesel Kubota lawn mower engine connected to an alternator to recharge the batteries.

This set up was originally used by Mother Earth News in the early 70's in an old Opel with a regular gas lawn mower engine and flooded lead acid batteries, so the principle is proven, and this would get some pretty good flexibility for me.

What I am doing now, and would appreciate any input from anyone who has info, is locating the specific parts I need to use, which batteries would be best & most cost effective, etc.

I look forward to reading more about what you guys are doing and appreciate any input you can give.

d. duck