View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Great discussion!

After seeing the CEOs and higher-ups around the table with Nancy Pelosi on the news tonight, I had a feeling that they would get the "low-interest loan" they are seeking.

My idea was to offer a "counter-offer". The money would go for every unit sold -- the advantage would be that cheaper vehicles are generally more efficient, and appeal to the masses. Make something even cheaper, and cut the difference.

To clarify from the Focus argument, $5000 would be financed or whatever, and the Gov't either loans or grants the remaining 10K to the auto companies. True, the resale market would tank, but read on...

Observation: the public isn't buying new cars, and probably won't for a while. What can we do to help the Citizen and Manufacturer both? Sending them a pile of cash gets us what? Not loaning them money gets us what, also?

I'm just brainstorming an alternative. I don't expect every American to run out an buy a cheap new car, or have an offer for a large amount discounted -- am I wrong in the estimation that something similar could boost the economy into creating jobs and putting money back into the system? $150/person is nothing compared to what the Federal Government racks up in debt every day. We simply need jobs to run this big system of ours -- and they're drying up.

Another stimulus plan is at hand, but the goal of the argument is helping the Big-3 retain jobs in the U.S.

Disclaimer: I'm not an Ecomomist by any means, it's just something that came to my mind during the news. More jobs = consumer confidence = spending = tax income = more jobs...

-Rick

_
_