View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
ChrstphrR
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
The VW pans are made by Evolution Imports, off in B.C., Canada.

Oh, and they made one, a bit more pricy, with a little hexagonal plate that fits into a cutout for the oil drain. VW dealerships have a steel pan available, for the same purpose.

Specifically, the TDI engines sit lower to the ground than the gas engines, and they have a cast aluminum pan. Pressed steel pans dent. Cast pans crack, and then, leak, catastrophically.

I've been eyeing up their skidplate for a while, and I've bought a new MAF sensor for my Jetta off of them (WAY cheaper than the stealerships).

I keep making my own out of coroplast, but the last one the (already resting) raccoon road kill took it away

Heck, I lost my stock pan to a(n already resting) antelope on the highway the first drive with the car back home. Yeah, I'm unlucky. :P

--- veering back on topic ---

I bet the vents on the Honda Fit pan are meant for the radiator. When I re-covered where the stock plastic pan goes on my TDI with that coroplast tray, the water temperature was a good 10C or more higher.

And from Evolution's copy regarding their plate - they're marketing for engine protection. VW already stuffs a plastic pan underneath for most of the MkIV and MkV cars (1999-1/2 and newer) for noise, and aerodynamic improvements already.

A metal pan would have a few benefits above plastics
  • If mounted securely, a metal sheet would improve torsional rigidity of your chassis (resistance to flex)
  • Impact resistance from road debris
  • A metal pan won't flutter (Stock VW plastic pans do, I've seen it on others driving down the freeways)

Of course... they'll cost more! ... I know trebuchet03's main objection is that thought in the back of his head that he could build one himself.

wdb, did your Fit have any trays or fairings stock? Glad your pan's working for you, too!